Electroic Training collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Electroic Training collars

does anyone have an opinion concerning electronic training collars?

Grimm v.h. Groot Wezenland, BH, IPO1 (Holland import)
Hazel von Narnia (Czech)
Hind Di Casa Sintiago (Holland import)
Sonador von Narnia (Czech/Slovak/Canadian import)
Promoting the working GSD and the working Paso Fino horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Electroic Training collars

If you search through the forums, there are TONS of good posts on the subject. I'll see if I can find you some.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.loucastle.com/

Lou Castle is a member here on the board, he has good e-collar advice. So what kinds of training have you done so far? Are you running into problems anywhere? Are you working with a good trainer? Any reason why you'd want the e-collar? There are SO many training tools out there but few are as misused as the e-collar. If you want to use it, please make sure you have a qualified, GOOD e-collar trainer to work with.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

As Diana said there are tons of articles regarding E Collars. Check out Lou Castle's site, but also take the time to research the differing opinions about E Collars amd Electric fences.

Suffice it to say, this is one hot topic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've no doubt that this is a hot topic.
I am new to this board, so let me intro myself a bit.

I am an equine and small animal vet tech and practice manager. My husband is Dr. O of http://www.horseadvice.com I have been in veterinary medicine for 22 yrs. small animal for 12 yrs., GSD's for about 15 yrs.

We currently have 5 GSD. Two are rescues, one of which, Senior Softee is perfect and the other, Lexi, is OCD. The other 3 are solid working line dogs. Hazel von Narnia (Czech bloodlines, from SCH III parents, imported from Canada), Coldwater Wichita, (Cheetah), Hazel's puppy, by Gildo von Wildferdeland (Dutch import, titled, works for a man who is a bail bondsman and bounty hunter) and Quen vom Mystical Haus, 6mos puppy, from German import parents, sire is SCH II.

My e-collar question is posed quite a bit to see what the opinions are. I have worked with Adam Witherspoon of Shiloh K9, who is an e-collar trainer. I have had dogs in about 8-9 acres of invisible fencing since 1996, with fabulous results.

One of our rescues, above mentioned OCD dog, Lexi is a very high drive dog, she is obsessive over me. She gets way too excited. The feed cart (gas golf cart modified for farm use) is in her way, so she will bite the tires, the horses are in her way, so she will bark and sometimes get too close to them with her teeth. When I am on the ground, i.e. not driving the cart or leading a horse, I can control her with voice commands. If I am driving the cart or handling a horse, she knows that I can't back it up with any correction. I have worked with the e-collar and she has respect, she knows if she has it on, a dummy doesn't work, she knows if it is turned on or not, she knows if I have the remote in my pocket. So long as I put it on her, turn it on, put the remote in my pocket and we all go to the barn, life is good. If i forget, I have to lock her in a stall to get my work done.

The e-collar allows her the control to be with me as I go about my barn chores, as opposed to being locked away in a stall to avoid a possibly dangerous situation.

Grimm v.h. Groot Wezenland, BH, IPO1 (Holland import)
Hazel von Narnia (Czech)
Hind Di Casa Sintiago (Holland import)
Sonador von Narnia (Czech/Slovak/Canadian import)
Promoting the working GSD and the working Paso Fino horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page