On Alert - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

On Alert

Re: My GSD female 4 yr old from Humane S, that I have since 11-21-08.

She is super friendly to EVERYONE during the day and at night she is much more attentive of goings-on in our 2 acre compound, Alert barks at the unknown (to me) maybe a cat? What can I do to encourage her attentive attitude to any of the "unknowns" in the night, such as people threatening. The last thing I want is for her to go and lick a perp's hand! Should I praise her when she is alert and encourage barking? Or if I hear a human yell a block or two away, and she hears it too, should I excite her. ie "whats that?"

thanks
Frank

Thanks and have a blessed Thanksgiving

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

Re: On Alert

Right now we have 2 GSDs that are the age of 2 yrs old and I am actually pleased with their "no bark" attitudes. They will bark if out in the yard..but if me or my husband are out with them they will not.

We have had sales people come to the door and I answer the door, and the dogs are always right there, but they do not bark. I like that. They seems to more look to us first. I may be in the minority here, but it doesnt bother me that they do not bark at people, and it is definately a good thing living in a nieghboorhood as I am sure it would get old for the neighboors. It is scary enough to have them sitting silently next to me when a person comes up to the door...hehe

They will alert or bark at passerbys with or without dogs when we have the doors shut in the house. I am not sure what they would do if there was an actual threat..but I still wouldn't count on them to not lick the person...but that is ok with me.

I think friendly is a good thing. But then again maybe I secretly think they would just know if something was really wrong.

So, I wouldnt do anything if I was you. Encourage the friendly, esp since you have just gotten her. Build the bond, and the rest will come naturally. But I think you will be happy that she is a friendly GSD. And she probably will not need any encouragement with the barking!

I have seen tons of posts where people are looking to stop the barking...

Have fun and congrats on the new dog!!

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Aloha, she is definitely is NOT a barker. For the last hour she has been laying on the elevated patio floor looking down on the dark compound trying to find anything menacing. Will look to further bonding. thanks frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Crowned Member

and forgot to say..

have a great Thanksgiving as well!

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Aloha, 74 degrees here, no snow yet, just 20 foot waves this weekend....----- and Have a wonderful ThanksGiving. ( just got awarded the ultimate bonding/confidence gesture, Rasa rolled over and encouraged me to scratch her stomach) Frank
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Crowned Member

wow I am jealous of that weather!!
Have a great day, sounds like you and Rasa are having a good time together!

Where are you located exactly?

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page