Potty Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Potty Training

aloha, for my 4yr F PB GSD from the Humane Society 11-21-08. She bonding well but it is quick as we are together 24/7. A couple of things

1: Can I spoil her if I am inconsistent? ie sometimes I make her sit and stay before chasing the ball and sometimes it is a free for all.

2: i leave the door open all night so she can do her business, but she will not go outside unless I take her outside in the AM. Maybe this is a time will tell as she becomes more comfortable leaving my side on her own.

thanks
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:35 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Shelter dog - potty training/consistancy

Welcome to the site and good for you for going to the shelter to get your GSD! Hope to see photos soon.

Best thing when you get a new dog is to spend as much time TEACHING her to be with you and what your life is like and what she needs to do. Since you got her from a shelter, I'd just pretend she was a 7 week old puppy and an 'empty slate' as far as what she knows and what you can teach her.

So pretend she knows nothing (cause it may be true LOL) until you teach her and she learns. I would take her outside and on long walks all the time initially so you have tons of opportunities to praise her when she DOES go pee/poo outside.

Have you signed up for an obedience class yet? It's really the best way for you to get the skills we all need to help our dogs while gaining the appropriate leadership skills (in our dogs eyes). The more we learn and know about training the dog, the more the dog seem to learn and better they do in the house/yard/world!

As far as consistancy, it is important but your play question isn't going to mess her up (at least how you explained it). If you tell her to sit/stay, and she does and then you release and play ball.... that's fine. And if sometimes you just play ball, that's fine.

But if sometimes you have her sit/stay and let her RELEASE HERSELF and then reward her with the ball............that's where you are inconsistant. Only when you give a command and she doesn't do it properly but you REWARD her anyways is there an issue. If you are just playing and no commands, it's just play.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Shelter dog - potty training/consistancy

1) Nope! If you want her to just chase after the ball, just throw it! I would mix it up a little- short sit, short down, long sit, long down. I've worked up to downing my dog on one end of the field, jogging to the other end, and releasing him to fetch a thrown ball. This really works the mind!

Quote:
Quote:But if sometimes you have her sit/stay and let her RELEASE HERSELF and then reward her with the ball............that's where you are inconsistant. Only when you give a command and she doesn't do it properly but you REWARD her anyways is there an issue. If you are just playing and no commands, it's just play.
BINGO. If you put her in a position, do NOT allow her to break from that position unless you give the release word. This will teach her that so long as she sits/downs, she can go do whatever she wants whenever she wants. Not so! "Down" means "Get down and stay down until *I* tell you otherwise." I used to use "OK" as a release, now I use "break." My trainer said she noticed a difference once she switched to this, I don't know if I notice one but it is easy, quick, and sharp, and we don't say that nearly as often as "ok."

2) I think this is good. I don't trust anyone and I do NOT like to leave my dog unattended outside. We don't have a yard, but if we did, I would be outside if he's outside, rain or shine. I've known of too many people who had their dogs snatched when they were alone. Sounds like she's a very smart, prudent dog!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Aloha, This dog came from the Humane Soc as a result of the "GSD Breeders" did not want her. She has mild displaysia and stiff in the front leg joint. Would a breeder give her up just for that? (she is 3 1/2 to 4 yrs). She does know a lot of commands already as I stumble on them throughout the day. Get in the car, she will go to the car and sit by the door, etc.

thanks for your help
frank
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

A breeder should not breed a dog with dysplasia, so yes, I would say that's one reason a breeder could have for giving up a dog.

However, I do strongly disagree with dumping a dog for any health reason. Many breeders place dogs with issues like these in LOVING pet homes where they are spoiled and pampered for life. The "breeder" who dumped your pup in a shelter needs a slap upside the head.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page