play time indoors??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

play time indoors???

so... I have a yr and a half yr old gsd/border collie mix and a 4 month old GSD. Both can get pretty rowdy! We usually just let them go at it until they drive me nuts and then tell them to "quiet". I can separate them if I need peace but now I'm babysitting my Parents in law's puppy (my 4 month old's litter mate) and they are always almost uncontrollably going after each other. It's mostly play, a little dominance establishing, and EXTREMELY LOUD. We also bring the pups to work with us and their noise is extremely frustrating when trying to speak on the phone to customer. My MIL treats it as though they are puppies and we just gotta let them get it out where as I believe there is a time and place for rowdiness. Do you multiple dog owners have rules for how rowdy your dogs can get indoors or do they just "go at it?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

Re: play time indoors???

I have rules - Morgan enforces them too!

No rough play upstairs, they can play ball in the kitchen or with their chew toys in the rest of the house but if they want to run around crazy with balls, play chase games or wrestle - that kind of play needs to go to the basement.

Everything breakable is fenced off - when Morgan was young there were a few incidents with Luther ramrodding her head into the boiler so I put green wire garden fence around the boiler and storage area. It was a much cheaper solution than building a wall becuase where the boiler is, I would have had to put a wall much farther out and cut off a good portion of usable space.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

Re: play time indoors???

I'm bad, I let mine play inside. The only time I break it up is if it's clear to me that one dog is sick of the other (usually Coke getting sick of Nikon) or Nikon is too annoying. He's very vocal, always barking and growling when he plays. If I have to break it up I put him in his pen with something to chew. Otherwise mine play inside all the time. They haven't broken anything (yet) and no fights yet.

Somtimes I block the stairs b/c they will run up and down like stampeeding cattle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page