E-collar people, help with prey drive ........... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

E-collar people, help with prey drive ...........

& ok to discipline ?

Ok, if you have no where around your area to teach the use of e-collars, any good DVD on use + good brand people use/love ?

We need help on getting a grip on our rescue Shadow that we have had for 11 months now. He is wonderful & so laid back inside or outside TILL he sees a deer, squirrel, rabbit, etc !!!!! I tell him leave it, but before you know it, he's gone after it !

We do have a professional e-fence & my other 2 GS's have never tested it. They have been trained as pups on it & they stay home. Have had for 5 yrs.

One thing about rescuing an adult, this has been a slight task. I have trained & trained Shadow on the fence & still have flags up almost a yr later, but he has tested 2 times now. Not even did he get out, the dumb butt walked in through it to come home. Wasn't here when he did to see how he came in, was out looking for him.

In the 11 months we have had him, he has tested it 2 x's spaced far apart on times. He has also broke about 3 tie out cables for dogs up to 250 lbs ! The biggest cable I can go buy without putting him on a car chain or something crude like that.

He needs to NO leave it & get his recall down, but it's so hard when he sees something, he zones you way out.

When he has came home the first time I made it clear he was bad. Walked him around & around the fence with a few shocks thrown in. He knew he was bad. He was gone about 20 mins.

Well, tonight he took off right before dark & was gone almost 2 hours ! I was so scared thinking he is all black, it's night & going to get hit ! I feared him getting stolen by someone finding a pure & nice GS. Will microchips help for this ?

This time when he came home, he was so tired & knew he was in trouble. I didn't say a word & just put him in his crate. He is remaining there while the other dogs are allowed out. This is going to be a whole night of time out. Tomorrow will not be like any other day also. Is this right ? I want him to know he done wrong.

I need help on making him stay right in this yard. He so fears the fence & knows where it's at. He hasn't tested it, but 2 x's, but that's 2 x's I never wanted him to. He is out in the yard everyday for a few hours. Has done fine.

His prey drive turns a switch on in him & need help on this. What to do before we lose our boy ?

Have a 10x40 kennel, but don't want him always in this while the other 2 GS's have free run.

Any suggestions & help ?

Thank you much..............

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: E-collar people, help with prey drive ...........

I ask for some advice & help please with training Shadow the right way & to listen. I sure don't want to be in Richard's shoes & could have been tonight.

He was gone for 2 hrs. & I was so scared.

PLEASE help. His prey drive is the only issue & unlike anything I have dealt with. Our other 2 GS's are nothing like this.

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

leerburg's E collar training for pets would be a good start

get the dog to understand what "Here" means then increase the distance and distraction level.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for your advice so far.

All 3 recall pretty good around the yard. I give lots of treats each time they come.

It's when deer are in play. Shadow, forget it ! Our Storm was out with him when he took off (didn't want Storm to see that), Storm ran back up the yard & ran in the kennel & stayed. He knew something was wrong !

I need to get this boy to understand to STAY here & leave it, means leave it !

I don't want the e-collar to be confusing with our e-fence though.

Also, when I recall, should I use *here* or *come* ? I use here in agility & have used come in obed. , are they the same meaning then ?

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'm SchutzHund I use "Hier" I use no other word for recall. and "Pfui" for a correction word. I'd consider getting a fence

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well...........

the 10x40 kennel area he can stay in, but want him to have the freedom the other dogs have. He has been doing great on the e-fence & have had distractions. He has chased & stayed. There have been these 2 x's & not sure why ? Deer will play games.

I need his prey drive whether it be here in the yard or out on a walk to be controled. He can't get everything. It used to be so bad, he freaked & tried to get toads.

He has a great home for a rescue & I need to help him with his prey drive & needing advice on doing so please.

~Thanks~

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Knighted Member

These are my thoughts just on what you've described here.

First, I would keep him in the house or the fenced kennel unless you are physically with him outside. There are some dogs who just plain learn to escape electric fences (and some horses - I had a horse who would charge straight through the wires). And since he could be in danger, I would recommend putting his safety over his need to play off-leash at this point. Get a good strong 50' long line and let him play while you stand out there with him, and then practice recalls using the long line and lots of positive reinforcement (treats, praise, petting, toys - whatever he likes is what he should get when he comes to you).

I also highly recommend NEVER punishing him when he returns. All that does is make him less likely to want to come home. If he chooses to come back, let him know that you are really glad he came home. It's not really his fault that he's taking off - he doesn't have the training or the natural instinct to resist the temptations out there, and without a real fence you're just offering him to the world. Punishing him for returning home is one of the worst things you can do if you want a dog that chooses to come home again.

If you choose to train your dog on an e-collar, please really study up on it beforehand. Either find someone locally who understands the concept of training using low level stimulation, or go to Lou Castle's website (I may not agree on everything with Lou, but his method is the one I use if/when I use an e-collar). It takes an effort to train properly using a shock collar. There are structured exercises you should go through so that your dog understands, and just like other methods you will need to add distractions gradually - including deer or whatever else you're trying to proof against. I used an e-collar to proof my youngest chow against moose - she thought she could take them on and I knew she couldn't (she's 53 pounds and moose are HUGE). I hated to use a shock collar but preferred that over having a dead dog. And I studied the methods for months, bought a good quality (100 levels of stimulation) collar, and started out with her on a long line so that I had control.

Check out "crittering" on Lou Castle's website (you can google his name).

I'm not sure you'll ever teach this dog to remain in the e-fence since he's already shown that he's willing to take the shock in order to get out. For his safety you may always have to keep him better confined. I really don't like the e-fences because too many dogs get out and too many critters can get in so that the safety of the dogs is always risky.

Good luck.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Did you go look at Lou Castle's site?

And there are NO dog trainers in your area? Where are you in Ohio?

Tell you one thing, my dog would NEVER be allowed in the yard without me with the amount of deer in my area and my lack of fence. When I'm there, I can train and get her back. If I let her out and am in the house when the deer run past, forget it.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I thank you both.

We live close to Newark, OH area & don't know any e-collar trainers.

We live out so fencing this wooded large area was out & the e-fence has been great. Our 2 never test it. They chase, but stop cold turkey b-4 they get to the fence. I don't ever worry about them.

Shadow I have trained & re-trained & will do so again. He has been great on it & I was fully trusting out there with the other dogs w/o me. I have seen him chase & stay.

Not sure why these 2 x's he tested, deers playing him.

The trust level is gone today & he is out in the kennel, hating it ! Whining.

I will work with him again today & keep up the training, but I do need something to get his mind off of prey when he sees something, here or on a walk ! I do have a older e-collar I have put on the other dogs from time to time to get them to stop chasing bikes & 4-wheelers. Has worked on them.

I would like to invested in a newer e-collar for training for 2 dogs maybe.

I have read about Dogtra, not sure the model again ?

I would go to class, but have no clue where & it's hard enough to find obed trainers around here.

So, the locked in his crate while other were allowed out & not paying any attention, was a no, no ? He knew he was so bad & wrong. When we came home, he walked towards to truck with his head hanging low & acting way sad all night.

We should have acted happy at him ? I see your point, but when my kids have ever done something bad, they get in trouble. He has to know that was bad, bad, bad.

I'm so glad he did come home & feel that's why he landed in the pound to begin with (people got tired of hunting him).

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Elite Member

How far are you from the Columbus area? There is a good e-collar school called Aunt Fayes.

GSGSR & GSR-SP
Trainer @ Obedient K9 Dog Training /Professional Member of I.A.C.P.
Proudly owned by Reno CGC, Lance CGC, Carlie CGC & Sniper CGC (GSD's)& Rylee CGC Yorkie(all rescues)
RIP my beautiful Cheyenne (GSD)
Dogster Id: 638901

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page