If certain issues, what is best ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

If certain issues, what is best ?

Hello,

I have 2 boys, 1 rescue that needs work on being around other dogs. Well, wanting to know the best way to work with them ? I know to get them out, out, out. Do at times, not everyday or weekly & now it's getting colder.

We are in a smaller town & just have Petsmart for training. I have done 2 classes with our fear boy awhile back.

He freaks at times (not sure when he will go off) when other dogs are coming at him. Like he fears them. Sometimes he's fine. He has gotten much better.

Our rescue.........well, not sure what his prob is ? If in Petsmart shopping & he hears a dog tag jingle, he gets all allert & ready. Once is sees the dog, he whines/cries etc & not sure what's up with that ? It's wierd & people always ask & look like, what is wrong with him ! Don't want to aproach another dog with him like that.

Either way, both need work & not sure how to help them ? Only good independent trainer I work with in agility said, to do agility with them & get them out & about. I try, but you don't always see dogs or have calm dogs/people that understand your situation.

I take them for rides, walks here/there, to work, & try to do what I can.

Just wonder what other think.............

Thanks..........

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: If certain issues, what is best ?

I see some lookers, but no replies.

I know I hated asking this, but am facing these issues & want so bad to work on them.

Just not sure which way to turn since I only have Petsmart training to deal with & have read here not to do them.

This rescue has everyone stumped that meets him & he goes off with this un-godly loud whale of whines & wants at that other dog. His focus is so much off of you at this time you could wave a steak in front of him. I'm not sure what he wants to do & this has us concerned & about 1/2 afraid to take him out.

The other boy I know is, fear of a dog getting him, he is in his bubble & wants it that way.

I just need to get them exposed to calm dogs & this is so hard.

Just thought could get some direction where to go or what to do to try harder to help them. If Petsmart, then them again I guess.

Thanks.......

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 AM

Hummm..... is your dog maybe being Reactive to the other dogs? My pup can sometimes pass other dogs and be okay other times he is super reactive and its all bark, wine, lunge makes a scene and no one wants their dog anywhere near him so I can understand your frustration there. Trying to socialize and make pleasant experiences with new dogs and not getting a chance.

Petsmart ist a terrible place to socialize, its just the trainers there are not always very experience heck they hired me, with very little experience (just working with foster dogs). Don;t even get me started on the 18 yr old other trainer who is even less experience then I there. Theres tons of people on this site that are not trainers that know a whole lot more then me (although Im trying to learn to be great) at least you could start with some socialization there, maybe you will get lucky and get one of the good trainers.
Ive taken class's there, with a trainer whos been at it ten plus years who was pretty good didn't hurt the class was also free. It was a great start for us, but I also spend the $ and take the LOOONNNGG drive to a dog club and work with trainers who have been at it 20 plus years, its so worth it.
I would also look online and see if there is any type of dog meetup's in your area. Im sure there is some type of dog club somewhere in your state it just may be a very long drive but its well worth it. Ask your rescue group if they can refer you to anyone, Hopefully someone else will come along with some better advice, good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Master Member

Check on the web for training places in your area. There may be somewhere that you can take classes and get the dogs better socialized.

Hopefully, you can find a place near you to work with. It will be well worth it in the end.

Good Luck

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Elite Member

Just a thought, check and see if people walking have dogs, and try to walk in the same places. Call the vets and SPCA and ask if there are dog walkers, groups etc. Take each dog individually and even if you just stand back and watch until your dogs calm down then slowly join the group. You may meet some new friends and will get more exercise and a walking dog is easier to deal with than classes where they are face to face or waiting for a command. You don't need to always train sometimes training is during day to day activities like walking.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Socialization suggestion for fearful dogs?

Many of us only read the 'Subject' lines when cruising down the the 'Active Topics'. So I found I get the most interested readers and replies if I can be more specific in the Subject line....

Is your problem more working with 2 dogs at once? Or just coming up with ideas and suggestions to socialize/train in general?

Here are some sites that may have hints/suggestions to help:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...onAdultDog.php

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/fearful%20dogs.htm

Have you purchased and watched the DVD Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas? Tons of great suggestion on what to watch for in our dogs when they are getting stressed, along with a bunch of easy things we can do to help. NOT about obedience but about dogs and their normal behaviors.

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Socialization suggestion for fearful dogs?

MaggieRoseLee,

Thanks for the links ! I know, didn't head this thread to great, sorry.

I'm trying to work each dog 1 at a time.

You just get to a point where you don't want to take them out EVEN though you know you must. People just freak in public when they go off. One is reactive at dogs at certain times, & rescue Shadow just whales so bad !

I am apart of a dog group (agility) in town & they understand me & our dogs so, that helps. We just don't get together very often & now with the cooler temps, way on hold.

Not sure what to do other than keep taking them out, but sucks b/c not everyone controls their dogs in the stores & this freaks our 1 boy Storm out.

Thanks much..........

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Socialization suggestion for fearful dogs?

MRL,
Thanks again for the links...............Oh boy I so wish I had one bit of that info during summer ! It's that DON'T punish your dog when he reacts at another dog................................... I have been doing this. He reacts, I say, "NO"/ "LEAVE IT", pop the pronge. Now I must reverse this............

How about this, If Shadow is whaling/whining at dogs, I still reward this ? I feel he needs to stop, settle down, etc, b-4 I will even let him go near a dog.

I see the praise/reward with the reactive dog Storm, but not with Shadow ! How about that ? Suggestions ?

~Thanks~

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page