Training the Cat??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Training the Cat???

So Dexter is almost 9 months now we have had him since he was 3 months, We have worked very hard on teaching him our cats are not toys, He only wants to chase, he never has bitten at them, only nudged them with his nose/paws trying to get them to run. Leave it finally has meaning around my cats, When he is exercised and has had some training he is pretty good with them . The un-exercised, no mental work version of my pup is always a terror. My older cat has even gotten buddy buddy with him, She show no fear she gos nose to nose with him, she swats at him when hes doing the nudge and run, so i can chase you thing, then he will back off they are doing great.
My problem is my youngest cat, she was a ferrel kitten, domesticated by our rescue group, and she loves to act like prey. She makes really high pitched nosies, runs super fast, shows ALOT of fear around him, and he loves it, Leave it works until i turn my back. The way she acts i think if i was a dog i would want to chase her too. Is there anything i can do to help her relax around him? If she could just stay relaxed when he comes around like my other cat he wouldn't bug her like he dose. I dunno if there is any answer for this, i need to gain confidence in my cat around my pup somehow, So she can at least stand up for herself a little then he will back off.
I noticed this pattern yesterday when we went to visit his grandma and grandpa who have 6 cats, He left alone the dominant cats that would stand up for themselves, all it took was a good hiss and a paw lift and he was like yeah not worth trying to chase them, The fearful cats of the house he was feeding off off kept trying to chase them, of course I gave him his leave it command and praised alot when he backed off. Im just not sure what to do I really seek peace in this household for all my animals. My Pup reminds me of the Bully in high school picking on all the sacred weaker kids, and respecting the other big kids who stand up for themselves. He really dose well with knowing hes not suppost to chase and bug her, but she really really temps him, i think i need a cat trainer lol, maybe they just need more time but any advice may help, there may not be any but thanks for reading anyways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page