I got a job working with dogs! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

I got a job working with dogs!

I go up to petco about once a week to buy something either dog food, cat food, cat litter, crickets (lizard), or some bully sticks and I always bring Pandora with me, sometimes with one of the others but Pandora LOVES petco and everybody there knows her by name. She first goes up to the cashier and hands out her paw and gets a treat.

Anyway, this past trip I was low on dog food and was also planning a trip to dallas so I bought 2 33lb bags of solid gold and dropped Pandora's leash while trying to carry this load and she stayed right by me of course and sat right by me while in line.

One of the managers came up and commented on how well behaved she is every time she's in the store and said they had a dog training position open and if i was interested to come in and talk with her, so I did.

I've never been fond of some of the chain store training but I do want to do something with animals and I figure this will be a great way to get to experience all sorts of issues with other dogs. So, i'm excited and to think my dog got my the job. I will only work there part time because I have another full time job that keeps most of my attention (retail ) but anyway, im excited.

I go up to the shelter a few times a month and try to teach the dogs at least "sit, stay, come" and sometimes even some fun tricks like shake or crawl. It also lets me learn the dogs personality a bit so the people there have a bit more to tell someone interested in that dog. I just want to expeirence as much as I can with dogs that Im not familiar with to maybe give me some experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Crowned Member

Re: I got a job working with dogs!

Congrats! What a great way to get offered a job
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 PM

Thats Awesome!!! Sounds like you have a great demo dog, I work at petsmart as a trainer its a really fun job, being able to help people train their dogs and keeping them out of those shelters, Another great thing is your helping at the shelter you will find alot of students that love training and want another dog you can promote those shelter dogs and get them great owners, I promote my rescue group all the time. And you know what owners will make good adopters, ones that you know will spend alot of time training, and caring for them. They may even allow you to bring in some of the rescues for demo and promote them for adoption, Petsmart allows it as long as the rescues aren't acting crazy. Only bad parts about the job are real trainers hate us chain-store trainers, but where else can we get experience to be great trainers? Best of luck to you and congrats your going to get alot of experience and have alot of fun doing it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! Yeah, I took Pandora to a puppy class at Petsmart and I thought it was pretty good for getting her used to being around other dogs. Right after getting her she had parvo so she was at the vet for awhile and I was afraid of letting her around other dogs for the first part of her life. I also had fun going more just to hang out with other people who loved their dogs and to meet other people. I still meet a few of the people I had training classes with up at the park for dog dates and such.

I haven't found any really nice training places or clubs in the area. I'd love to do agility with Pandora or something like that but there isn't much around here.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: InnuendoI haven't found any really nice training places or clubs in the area. I'd love to do agility with Pandora or something like that but there isn't much around here.
Did you search the cleanrun.com site for agility clubs (click here) ? I know I have to travel a bit over an hour to the best place in my area, but it's well worth the drive. Just combine my shopping and socialization with the dog to the drive!

Heck I live in PA and train in NJ!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page