Running with GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Running with GSD

Okay so what I'm wanting to know is when is it alright to start running with your GSD... Sam is only about 12 weeks old now and I didn't know if she waould be able to go on my runs with me... I would of course significantly shorten said runs to oly about 15mins and would keep them low impact BUT did not want to begin until I knew it was the right time... Until I get feedback I will stick to our walks LOL

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!!!

-ANGUS-

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
Samantha "Sam"
Born: 03AUG08

COCKER SPANIEL
Scooter
Born: 13SEP04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned

Re: Running with GSD

i don't know when it's ok to start running with a dog. i know i wouldn't run with my 12 week old puppy. 15 minutes of running with a 12 week old puppy seems like a long time to me. what's the rush to run? i wouldn't run with my dog untill he's 9 months old or older. i'm going to watch this post because i want to know when it's ok to run with a dog.

when my dog was 10 or 11 weeks old we had to walk from his puppy class which was 1 mile from our house. 3/4 through the walk he just plopped down. later on in the day i was taking him out for a bathroom break and i noticed he wasn't walking right. upon checking him i noticed a little spot on his pad. it was slightly red.
i then realized his pads were to soft for that long of a walk. we were walking on concrete. untill then he was used to walking and playing in our yard on the grass. he had been to the woods but i kept him on the grassy parts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Master Member

You want to wait until he is finished growing. It can be too hard on his growing bones. The vet told me not to run with my lab until he was one year old. I have heard others say not to run with a large breed dog until they are at least two, fully grown.
I did start running with Chatham when he turned one and know lots of others who have as well. I really wouldn't start before then but its up to you if you wait longer. You may want to ask your vet's opinion.

It may also depend on where you are running. Running on pavement would be much harder.

When you do start running, remember they are like people, they have to work up to it. Like the above poster noted, they also need to build up calluses on their paws as well.

Kaper is my favorite running partner. He really loves it. When I stop to take a break, he is constantly encouraging me to get going. It makes me enjoy it so much more when I see how much he is enjoying himself.

Have fun when you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

On leash jogging with us on pavement is very high impact and repetitive, both of those need to be avoided until they are done with the growth plates.

But off leash, on grass or in the woods...................... that's completely different. I take my dog on a mile (or longer) off leash walks in the woods even before 12 weeks. So the pups can go at their own pace, running or walking or sitting or laying down or running. As time goes on I can go longer distances and they do even more running.

And you'll know when you can start running on the trails (with the pup still off leash) by how fast you are able to walk previously and have the puppy easily keep pace (out pace?) you.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Master Member

I think it is about a year when the growth plates are done. But it is two years before they are fully grown? I can't remember since its been awhile.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think the growth plates close by a 1 1/2 yrs (or a bit earlier) x-rays from the vet show that. Our dogs continue to mature and fill our for even a few years after that.

Puppies can truthfully get a surprising amount of exercise from the day they hit your house. You can see when they are tired, they stop, or fall asleep (and are ready to go an hour later!). And the amount this takes increases rapidly the first year.

What has to be avoided is any high impact exercise (high jumps, alot of high jumps, jogging on pavement long distances) and repetitive exercise (jogging on leash).

So anything off leash is ideal, cause the pup can set the pace, slow, fast, quit......Swimming is great.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

No rush at all actually... I wouldn't have posted it on here if I was in a rush I'd have just done it rather than come on here out of concern for my girl to query this board... I had heard that I should wait until a year regardless for joint development and the like...
Currently we walk 30mins to an hour at her pace so that she doesn't get burned out just wanted some others input...

Appreciate it...

-ANGUS-

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
Samantha "Sam"
Born: 03AUG08

COCKER SPANIEL
Scooter
Born: 13SEP04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page