Cesar Millan - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Cesar Millan

Hey I just had a question, I know a lot of people who hate the way Cesar Millan trains esspecially Victoria Stillwell, which I thought was pretty funny when she flipped out about him on the show America' Greatest Dog I think was what it was called. Why is it that so many people hate his training methods? and who here does and doesnt like his training methods? Thanks just curious.

NAS Lemoore, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Cesar Millan

He's less about the psychology of the dog and more about instilling the fear of what may befall them into the dog so that they quickly fall into line. It's very hard to get results on a program based on motivation and reward with only as many corrections as you need and it takes time to get results but the relationship is then built on trust, respect, and understanding. The dogs clearly react to Cesar as someone who must be obeyed lest they be tossed to the floor. If you ever see how Cesar rebukes Daddy, that is the most telling. Cesar gives him a minor verbal correction along with a hard stare and Daddy just melts into the ground and bellies up. Sorry, but I just don't want my dog to wilt like that under such tiny pressure. If I give a correction, all he needs to do is stop and wait for further instructions rather than act like I'm going to kill him and eat him for dinner. The dogs in his pack also seem very "subdued."

I *DO* like how he emphasizes discipline and exercise. Too many dogs are underexercised and overspoiled but Cesar doesn't emphasize mental exercise. If all we did with our GSDs was to take them on such a slow, controlled walk as the "Cesar Millan Walk," they would all consume our houses and excavate our yards clear across the planet. I can bike my dog until I fall off the bike but he's ready to go for more after a little rest. Mental exercise (training) does way more for my dog than any physical exercise and after a hard day of mental exercise, he's good for the next couple days. Back on the psychology, the alpha rolls that he's so well known for is completely against anything a dog is naturally prepared for. Dogs don't get shoved into position by any leader other than a tyrant out to destroy- the dogs move into this position on their own to appease and reduce the pressure.

Victoria Stillwell I think is much better. Of course she does things I don't agree with, but I have yet to meet a trainer that is 100% right on every single thing. I used to really like Cesar, but as I learned more about dogs and training and behavior, I like him less and less.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Knighted Member

I like him a lot.

Just as far as a viewer of his show. He has taught me a lot.

I do not try his stuff out on my dogs myself. I walk them a lot more now. He would say I humanize my dogs to much, because....hmmm, I DO. They walk in front of me on a leash and tug me. Hmmm, maybe I should call him.

He has just helped me understand them. I have always related to the pack philosopy. I am one of the pack, my DH is pack leader. I am getting there though. They listen sometimes.

I feel he understands dogs, and cares very deeply for them. He helps the people to.

He is just under a microscope because he is on TV. But he gives a lot of dogs a chance when others would not. I admire his work with aggression. I could not do what he does.

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 06:07 PM

I dont like cesars methods, but if it get some irresponsible owners out there to take control of their animals im okay with it.
a umbrella with a hole in it sucks but its better than non

Victoria is funny I enjoy the show, although some of her ways get to me too.

Echo Bravo - 3/2007
Indigo Fox - 8/2007
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

Great explanation, Diana! I watch both Cesar and Victoria's shows, anything concerning dogs, I am interested in. I agree totally with the way poor Daddy submits whenever Cesar corrects, or even shows him attention. I love the Dogtown series, and the trainers are pretty good in properly dealing with different dogs issues to rehab them.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Crowned Member

Here are 7 pages of an earlier Cesar Milan discussion we had on the board:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...page=1&fpart=1

Thought the OP might be interested.

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CookieTN

The link posted by skye'smom to the thread with the article in it explains it best.
I personally don't really care for many of his methods, but he does have some good suggestions. Such as remaining calm while training your dog.
He's showing people that dogs need training and that is good. I believe that he has good intentions.

~Tiffany
"We represent a generation that wants to turn back a nation"~from 'Looking for Angels' by Skillet
Rest in peace, Cookie
(1998-2011)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:38 PM

omg he is so awesome! i cant wait to get my GSD i`ll use his methods! I love the ideal of exercise affection and disiplite(sp?)

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell"

I <3 Harley

vvvvvvv click the link hes cute vvvvv

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

I think that Cesar has done a great service to the dog training community by making dog training main stream through his TV show. It shows average people that a) dogs can be trained regardless of what previous issues and training they have had and regardless of how old they are and b) anyone can work with their dog once they've been shown how to do it.

I also noticed that his more recent episodes are more gentle than some of the early ones, although some of his methods are still not what I would use on my dog. As with any trainer, I take what works and leave what doesn't.

Cesar has a new DVD set out called "Mastering Leadership", which is a 3 DVD set explaining methods on working with your dog, becoming pack leader, and bringing a new dog home (choosing a dog, etc.). I was sent a copy of the set to review by the company publishing it, and haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but when I do, I will let you guys know if it's any good.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 AM

You know, we all do things differently. If you go to my website you will see that my technique cannot be any more different than his. I just tell people to go to the two different sites and make the decision for themselves.

I think it is great the fact that he lives with 30 pitbulls, and he totally gets the pack mentality. He walks the walk. But let's face it.. who has 30 dogs... or even more than 2?

The main difference between what he does and what I do is that I am a dog trainer. He admits he is not. I, like thousands of dog trainers, teach people to teach their dog to sit and so on. My philosophy is that they are living in our world. He lives in the dog's world. Don't get me wrong, you need to understand your dog and my "first 30 days" deals with that. But it is all about building the trust and building an awesome relationship. There is more on my site under "about companionsfor life".

I also will add that after 30 years of doing this, I don't know one person that subscribes to anything that he does. But again, if people can buy his stuff and learn from it, that's great.

Joel Silverman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page