How to stop the jumping. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

How to stop the jumping.

Hi, we have a 2 year old German Shepherd, that we adopted, and apparently did not have any manners training before. We have been working with him on the basics, sit, stay lay down, off, leave it etc, but he has the habit with me of wanting to jump up on me all the time. Using off, leave it does not seem to work, he just gets so excited. What are some things I can try to break him on jumping up on me, and for that matter anyone else.

He is such a good dog, if I could just break that habit, it would be great. He learns really fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: How to stop the jumping.

Good luck with this, generally I've broken Bretta's bad habit of this except sometimes with her initial greetings when I get home.

I do know it helps when I am calm and turn my back on her when she's getting ready to launch. So instead of getting my face (which she wants) she gets my back (which she doesn't want).

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Four On The Floor

This means that the dog ONLY gets attention – ANY type of attention – when all four feet are on the floor.

Some dogs like ANY type of attention – positive OR negative. Pushing a dog when they are jumping on you may feel like a negative response but to the dog it can seem like play.

Dog jumps up on you – you turn your back and totally IGNORE the dog. When all four feet are on the floor you can turn back and praise them and play with them but don’t get too excited about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Knighted Member

If ignoring the behavior doesn't work, you can also try putting your knee up when he jumps up. It's will not be very comfortable for him to jump up anymore. That did the trick for our dog.

Good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

If your dog is holding a sit or a down, he cannot jump. Teach him to greet in a sit or a down. At class, we are learning a great way to show dogs when it is okay to jump all over us and when it is not. We get down to the ground and invite the dog to play where anything goes, then when we want it to stop we immediately stand up and call for a sit. This can be great for greeting- when you get home from work, your dog sits and stays calm, you get into your "whatever clothes," then you get down on the floor and have a good ol' romp of a greeting, then you can stand up and send a clear signal that it's time to be "proper" by having the dog sit.

Another thing that really helps is to completely ignore a dog for the first few minutes after an absence. Come home from work, pretend the dog does not exist for five minutes or until the dog finally sighs and gives up. You coming home is NOT a big deal, it's just another non-event. Talk quietly and slowly, no "HIIII PUPPPPY! MOMMY MISSED YOUUUUU" nonsense as that will fire up the dog. This really helps a lot.

Good luck, mine still jumps, mostly on my fiance (he lets Renji get away with more than I do) but that's because I'm fine with him jumping here and there. I don't wear anything he could really ruin and if I did, I would think ahead and have him crated BEFORE I put on the fancy stuff. I like his drive and pushiness and it's useful for training.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

This might sound cruel, but it will likely resolve the problem. I foster dogs, and my must recent was fearful aggressive toward humans and dogs, and a jumper when she bonded with me.

I asked several people for advice, and one person that works with our group said bring her to my training class, no charge.

With a very light lease and small pronged collar he took the dog, put the lease under his foot, and each time the dog jumped pulled and gave the dog a down command. There was plenty of yelping, but after a bit the dog obeyed, both on and off lease. This was a group session so there were about ten or so other people their with their dogs.

My option was have the dog killed. He had already tried to bite a previous foster's child.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Please do NOT try the above method. I am not even going to comment on it except to say that it is completely unnecessary to use for an exuberant jumping dog (as the OP describes).

I agree with turning the back and ignoring. I would add one more thing: redirect to a toy. Rafi was a big jumper when I adopted him. When he would get excited (and that was most of the time!) he would jump up in my face. I completely ignored him. This worked because he really wanted my attention and I was taking it away from him. I also taught him to redirect himself to a ball or other toy when he is excited. Now when he gets excited he will grab a toy and weave around me with it.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Our rescue indigo also has this problem. Even in training she likes to put her paws up on me, I think its just a sign of comfort for her.
but we are persistent with OFF, Sit.
she gets the message sometimes it just takes time.

Comming in, we ignore the dogs entirely, we started this with echo and continue it with indigo. They get excited, and usually grab a toy or sock and prance around us, but we ignore them, until our keys are hung up, things are out of our hands. and we address them.

We initially trained echo with this, by each and everytime someone came in we had whoever who was already inside holding his collar.

Echo Bravo - 3/2007
Indigo Fox - 8/2007
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMIf your dog is holding a sit or a down, he cannot jump. Teach him to greet in a sit or a down. At class, we are learning a great way to show dogs when it is okay to jump all over us and when it is not. We get down to the ground and invite the dog to play where anything goes, then when we want it to stop we immediately stand up and call for a sit. This can be great for greeting- when you get home from work, your dog sits and stays calm, you get into your "whatever clothes," then you get down on the floor and have a good ol' romp of a greeting, then you can stand up and send a clear signal that it's time to be "proper" by having the dog sit.

Another thing that really helps is to completely ignore a dog for the first few minutes after an absence. Come home from work, pretend the dog does not exist for five minutes or until the dog finally sighs and gives up. You coming home is NOT a big deal, it's just another non-event. Talk quietly and slowly, no "HIIII PUPPPPY! MOMMY MISSED YOUUUUU" nonsense as that will fire up the dog. This really helps a lot.

These done together are exactly right. My dogs, but especially the Camper gets SOOOO excited when Dh gets home from work. Our trainer told Dh simply, walk *purposefully* in the door and ignore all the dogs. Don't even say Hi. Just go in, head straight into the bedroom, change your clothes, talk to your wife, open the mail. Then once the dogs have calmed down from your arrival, then you can call them over, make them sit and greet them. It works perfectly. It's amazing how much more the dogs respect his space when it's clear he's on a mission.

This technique makes the dogs calm THEMSELVES down, instead of us trying to calm them down.

The first part of Diana's post is also spot-on. I have a puppy that doesn't jump on people. I mean, almost never. It even shocks our trainers how little she jumps. From the day she walked in our door, I trained her on a Sit. Then, anytime she wanted ANYTHING, she had to sit. All jumping behavior was ignored. When she greets strangers, friends, staff at the vet's office, etc, I tell them, if she jumps up, please turn around and walk away. So when they lean over to say hi, she usually holds a sit (without being told to sit. It's her default position). Or, she stands calmly and waits for people to approach her.

One more important thing to remember, dogs play with their forepaws. So when you move your hands (your forepaws) around, pushing your dog down, it looks like play to him. Use your BODY to block and move your dog. Don't speak (which, as noted above, is attention); just body block. Walk into your dog's space. I don't think you need to knee him in the chest, step on his toes, use a prong or otherwise actively do anything that will hurt him. Just step into his space to back him off or turn your back and walk away from him, whichever of these works better with your dog.

But these are actions you take once he's already jumped up. My feeling is that "off" is a difficult command to learn. It means "stand there and don't do anything." It's a passive command and is a difficult concept for many dogs, especially young and excited dogs to grasp. I never use the off command with my pup. And I rarely use it with other dogs, including other people's dogs. I just tell the dog to sit or down.

So give him something ACTIVE to do. Sit. Down. If he can't hold a sit because he's too excited, then stack commands: Sit and speak. Sit, shake, down, sit. Toss a ball and tell him "fetch;" then when he returns, make him sit. And when he's in that sit, YOU go down to HIS level. That's what he wants, is to see you up close. So once he's behaving appropriately, reward him with what he really wants. You.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 AM

I have a some great free videos on my site that might help. There are a series of about 14 one minutes videos that will take you step by step. Just go to the ONLINE DOG TRAINING area, and click on the JUMPING behavior. It is all free.

Joel Silverman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page