Anything Special I need To Know??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Anything Special I need To Know???

<span style="color: #6600CC">(this is what duke wants to do when we are outside) Chase Butterflies LOL!

I have contacted a private trainer for Duke, and the classes are going to be $25.00 a class which I think is reasonable. Do you? I don't know when we are going to start yet I just talked to her husband this morning and waiting on her call back.

Before I do this, is there anything special that I need to know at all about the training process? And also I was wondering how long does a private trainer usually work with us?

Before she calls I need to know if there is any certain questions that I need to ask her about the training or process of the training. If there is any info that anyone can give me as to what to ask her, I would greatly appriciate it!

Thanks alot

Stacey</span>

Shawn & Stacey

Duke~8 1/2 GSD~ 2007~2016 Always Near
Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Anything Special I need To Know???

Stacy,
What I would want to know is what her philosophy is for training.
I would ask her what equipment she wants you to have when you first meet.
I would ask if there were books or tapes she would recommend.

25$ a session for private lessons (I think that's what you are talking about instead of group classes) sounds pretty reasonable. Ask her about the length of the sessions. (I would expect them to be short to start with & then to lengthen. An hour's private lesson is a very long time for a young dog. - for any dog really.)

You might also ask to observe a class if she is doing group classes, too.

Based on her answers to these questions, I'd evaluate the trainer and decide what I wanted to do.

OK that's theory. Reality I've faced - trainers that do not return calls, trainers that get put off by my questions, observing a class only to find that the class was then taught by someone else (one woman injured herself seriously) and there were too many dogs in the class to work effectively and the trainer who "survived" and I did not agree on methods. I've also worked in a group class and used my own techniques with my own dogs and ignored the trainer's methods. I've found ways to make different situations work for me with the background of two trainers that I truly respect. Good heavens I am old and crabby!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

LOL (about the old and crabby) I liked that! I appriciate your reply on this, she hasnt called back yet but her husband said that she would be at the kennel club all day and that she would return my call later this afternoon (so we will see).

Yes it is private lessons, one on one with no one else. I wanted to get him into the group class so he could interact with other people/dogs but they said that there classes are going to end in a couple of days and would not start back up until the spring and I just cant possibly wait that long for this.

He is just getting out of hand so bad. The kennel club that I was going to put him in was highly recommended by many and said they are highly respected. This lady works at that same kennel club for when I called the first lady she is the one that recommended this lady.

Hopefully she will be a good person to work with him! If you don't mind before I make any decision with her I would like to run it by you on here and see what you think about all of her answers to the questions that you have provided. I do NOT know the first thing about any of this! I am totally knew at it but am very igore and goal oriented to get this done! i can't afford the best but I want the next best thing for him and my family!

I really do appriciate your reply and I will repsot after I have talked with her...

Thanks again

Stacey

Shawn & Stacey

Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

OK Stacy,
Take a look at the training section - go over the old threads and see what you think about training methods. Try some books (I am a big fan of positive training any more) or get some DVDs at the library and watch different styles. Pat Miller, Sheila Booth are a couple that stress positive approaches; Cesar Milan uses more traditional compulsion techniques. Ian Dunbar has some tapes out too. Godfreid Deldei's tapes are impressive and he talks a lot about motivation & drive. (If I remember right. I haven't looked at them in a long long time.)
The books I would go with now (I got them when my dogs were 5 & 7!) are Sheila Booth's purely positive training: companion to competition and Bill Campbell's the new better behavior for dogs.

I'm sure we'd all be happy to give you our opinion on the trainer's answers -- but beware! We are an opinionated lot & we disagree over technique a lot!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

thanks alot for that reply again! unfortantly shes done broke one rule tonight! SHE NEVER CALLED BACK!! So I guess that means she would be out right? Of course I understand if something has happend to where she couldnt call back. Im a pretty easy going person.

Thanks for all of the great info in the last reply, I will definitly be going to the library tomorrow. I have books that I have to return anyway so that would be a great day to do it! I will go to the thread in a few mins. and check out some of those posts and replys.

As far as being opinionated and disagreeing it doesnt bother me, for one what I would do is read all of the replys (if there was any) and then take it to heart as to what I should do. I have to learn somewhere huh? I am very stubborn myself LOL! Maybe thats where Duke gets it (hes been around me to long)! My husband always tells Duke (even though hes male) that there is only one B---- of the house! As long as they all know it thats all that matters lol!

Anyway I really do appriciate all your help middleofnowhere! You have helped already more than you know! I think one thing that doesnt help out is the fact that my husband and I have two very different ways of wanting to train and that is just confussing for Duke and myself! I have told him today that we are going to start training somewhere weather it be with this lady or someone else, we are going to do it and we have to do it together or Its not going to work.

I will let you know if I hear anything back from her, and I hope to hear more of your great answers! Thanks

Shawn & Stacey

Molly~ 3 GSD

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Crowned Member

Go ahead and call her. And call again. I know it's a pia but... I am surprised that no one else has weighed in on this. It is a long weekend. Maybe more will come around tomorrow or Tuesday.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

k. i will call her in a few mins. to see if i can get a holt of her. yea i know there has been alot to look at it but no one has replied but you and i really appriciate that! this is very important to me, because i dont want my dog to be messed up.

But weather anyone replies or not you have already helped me alot with this!!

Shawn & Stacey

Molly~ 3 GSD

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

OK folks - Help this person out please! I know y'all have more opinions than mine!!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Knighted Member

Don't have much to add to middleofnowhere's advice so far except have a little patience. There may be more once you get some answers (and a gut feel) from the trainer.

And I think the price is great for a private trainer - assuming everything else falls into place. that is not much higher that group sessions out here.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Crowned Member

Bring an open mind and a willingness to listen, learn, and practice at home. Trust your instinct and if there is something that scares you, kindly ask for an explanation first before you decide if something is really wrong. Please do not be afraid to ask for more details so you better understand what is being taught.

My trainer is very, very busy and sometimes things can get lost. It happens, keep trying to contact but if it's been a few tries without a callback, that's not very good unless the trainer finally gets back to you saying an emergency arose.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page