a few questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

a few questions

i just got 2 dogs from a guy that i just basicly took them from there were not very healthy looking i rember form my uncle he used ot havea retired police dog german shepard and shewas a magnificant animal this lil one her name is daisy is skinny i can feel her ribs on both sides i was told she was a full blood german shepard but i havenever seen a black one but thats neither here or their the other dog is a lab/dane cross same as the other she is extremly skinny what happend wasi drove by seen them and just walked up to the fella and took his dogs told him it wasnt right for the way those 2 dogs looked and that i was going to take them off his hands since it was apparent he couldnt care for them i explained i have 10 acres for them to explore and such after about 5 minutes i had him tell me about the dogs he agreed to give them to me the shepard is 10 month old and the dane/lab cross is a year and a half i took them home and filled 2 buckets with water and had called a friend and had her go get a bag of dog food so i could feed them when i got home she also brought me 2 collors and 2 60 foot cables so they wouldnt run off she told me so i putthe collars on and putthe cable around a couple tree far enough apart so they wouldnt tangle i putthe water out and the food down and they both just looked at me not sure if i did this right i splashed the water on both of thme form each of their bowls and they wentto drinking then i held some of the food in my hand and let them sniff it and eased it towards the bowl anddroped it in there and they went to eating but they ate realy fast i assume it was cause they were starving i got up this morning togoto work and the shepard was up walkingaround wagging her tail looking at me i walkedo ver ot her she jumped up on me i told her no and pushed her not forcefuly but just to get her off me and petter her a little andwent to work the other dog was asleep bythe food bowl with 1 paw in it

my question is how do i go about trainng them when im at work all day i leave at 5 am and get home at near 7pm i figured id feed them every day when i get home but a friend said i shold keep food out there til lthey fatten up as he put it

is it too late to train these dogs i like the idea of the shepard for protection i have a son and my room mate ans 2 kids as well so i think it would be good to have around

i hear stories about dogs that were misstreated turning on folks i dot think they were ever beaten but they were skinny

sorry for the rambleing hopefuly someone can make sence out of this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: a few questions

i been readin alot in here and havnt found the answer to the question i asked above

i have seen a few post about a e coller and not real sure if it is something i want to do i dotnwant to hurt the dog she is a great dog she comes when i call her she sits when we say sit and my friend said she stayed bythe car the otherday when she went to her brothers she said all she told her was dasiy stay right here she went in forabout 10 minutes and come out andsaid dasiy was right where she told her to stay so it looks like she has been trained in some fashion she likes to jump on people and my friend is slightly disabled and it almost knockes her down but she loves this dog so that is why im wanting to train her so she wont jump up on people
and i kow nothing of training dogs or any animals for that matter i just have the 10 acers of land and let them have the run of the place neither of them have run off theyare there every morning when i go to work i stop and petthem and playwith them alil bit before i realize im running late lol

the other dog the lab/dane mix shis is clumsy and it is kind of funny at times she is a year and a half old and she stil stumbles im guessing it is because sheisnt used ot not being tied to a tree all the time but she has no training whatos ever other than lookingat you when you call her name which is lil ann funny name for a huge dog huh but if you call her name she will look at you and then go back to what she wanted to do

i need help on figuring out this training of these 2 dogs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:54 AM

E collars don't hurt anyone. however if you have misgivings , try other methods.

I would reccomend you spend time with official trainers and in group classes.

(not petsmart classes with the local high school kid)

Echo Bravo - 3/2007
Indigo Fox - 8/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

where i live in east texas there are no trainer around that i have found but ill look and see ifi cnat findany other opertunity somewhere
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:37 AM

Well by expeirence and not being said yet I would recommend keeping Daisy in the house! Anytime you are not at work, if any way possible you need to be spending time with her, and lil ann. Im learning alot here myself on this board and everyone has been very helpful in every issue I have had.

You need to bring her in (definitly not tied to a tree), you need to get lots and lots of good ol treats, and if you have no trainers around you, you need to start the training process yourself. There is a great forum on here about training your puppy, lots of good into on it.

You can start with the easy commands like sit, lay, come, stay. When you are with her you need to have treats in your pocket at all times (very important roll in the dog training). As I have found out the hard way, it is very important for this breed to be with there owners! Thats why I say she needs to be in the house, they have to much potential to be tied to a tree!

As for the jumping up on people, when she does it you push her down lightly of course and tell her a very firm NO or Nein (that is the german word for no). I am no dog trainer by no means, and still have lots and lots of questions myself but I have learnt that much so far! Thanks to alot of the people here! GOOD LUCK WITH HER! (THEM)!

Shawn & Stacey

Duke~8 1/2 GSD~ 2007~2016 Always Near
Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

i was with her a while this weekend and she is a great dog for hercondition as i had said earlier she was not in all that grat shape when i got her but she does seem to have some training i think she is alil antsy i would tell herot sit and she would untill i got the treat out this time it was a hot dog then she was up again wagging her tail as if to say ok i sit now gimme so i would make her sit again all i got to do is tell her to and she will but i was thinkingi may have been wrong for making her sit again to get her treat since i didnt tell her to stay

i have got a lot of good information from this site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page