Teaching Focus - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Teaching Focus

I had read a thread on here before, I believe the thread was actually called "Teaching Focus", and it showed a good example of how to teach focus. Something along the lines of putting treats in both of your hands, close your hands into fists, letting the dog sniff the treats in your hands and then stick both arms out on both sides and give them the treat when they focus on your face and not your arms/hands.

I would like to learn more little "teaching focus" methods like this.

My 18 month old neutered WGSD, Doc, is currently is going through a phase of lunging at people walking by while we are on leashed walks. It started where he would just do a friendly jump to people that came up to me, and after that, I tried to prevent him from doing that by holding him close to me with no slack on the leash (and I found out from this board that by doing that it makes it A LOT worse!). So after lunging at 2 people and nipping at their clothes... I have been working a lot with him on our walks. I have been avoiding paths/sidewalks that I wouldn't be able to step to the side and be out of reach for the dog to lunge at the person walking towards us. I have been working on getting him in a sit/stay anytime a car is driving by or if there are other people/dogs in sight (but not close enough to get to). He is doing very well so far with that, but he still focuses on them. I don't trust him enough yet to let him walk past an approaching person that is within reach. I would like to get to the point where I can walk him on tight sidewalk with tons of people walking past us without him lunging or better yet, without him paying any attention to them.

I am also hoping that since he is in full blown adolesence right now, I am hoping once he matures that he will be less protective/aggressive/distracted. He is my first GSD and it has been a long journey, learning new things all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Teaching Focus

I wrote out steps for teaching focus on my website: http://www.kippsdogs.com/tips.html .

You might also want to look at the desensitization section which could help you work on his reactivity to people. It basically has you starting at a distance and using rewards when he doesn't react to the people, and gradually moving in closer over a period of days/weeks/months (whatever is needed for your particular dog).

It takes time but it's time well spent if you want a dependable dog.

Good luck!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your response!! Your website looks very informative and I look forward to reading through it!

Keep the tips coming! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Best way to do this along with a great instructor who gives the instant guidance and feedback most of us need. Along with gradually adding the distractions in the best manner for our level and our dog..

I personally like using the clicker to help my dog. Clear, concise to the dog (though I may have to learn a new tool, hey, if it helps my dog, it's worth it).

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti.../attention.htm

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/index.htm

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/925

http://www.clickerlessons.com/attention.htm

and you don't have to use a clicker for the above lessons to work. It's just better.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page