German Shepherds Forum banner

who should go to training in a two person home

2K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  car2ner 
#1 ·
So our 4 month old Regan is with me all day and I'm committed to training her throughout the day, She sits, gives paw, down so far. We start basic training on Sunday and I wonder if my husband should go as he spends less time with the dog and she tries to eat him and has a hard time follow commands from him. Or should we both attend all trainings? Thoughts

#3 ·
I would love to get ours into some professional classes. But once I do, i would bring my husband with me so we are on the same page when the trainer explain the methods. If we can take turns with our dog in class that would be extra great. Trainers are supposed to teach the pet owner's first before showing our pets. Fur babies are successful when owner's are educated :wink2:

Also, maybe the trainer can see how your pup interacts with your husband and show you both a better way.

#8 ·
I'm not sure about other training centers but at the AKC club where I am doing a basic puppy class they only allow one handler per dog. The club seems to also think there should be one primary handler, at least in the beginning. There are a couple people in the class who have a second person come and watch outside the ring. Some even video the session which is super nice. There’s actually quite a few spectators and club members discussing things on the sidelines. So where I take my class, the observer could probably pick up a lot just from the sidelines. I don't know the atmosphere of your training center though. I teach the kids and husband what we are working on throughout the week, usually the stuff my pup is doing fairly consistently so he's not confused in the early stages.

#9 ·
I just finished a puppy class and the instructors know most pet owners have more than one handler....so they allow anyone to train, kids included as long as the consistency of commands and handling is instilled. We did the last week and the puppies had to be tested with certain commands and then do a trick. Family members were present in many of the dogs testing.
This is for pet, but beginning foundation for further training, and if a kid gets interested in training, then it is great!
I was pretty impressed with this beginning pet class because the instructors want people to continue training in this club.

#10 ·
I say both. Been years since we've done classes. We both went if we both could for basic puppy class. After that we had one on one private trainer. We always both went. Our trainer encouraged everyone in the family that was going to be living with the dog to learn proper handling methods. Since it was just my husband and myself we divided the handling during sessions. It lets the trainer see flaws and successes in handling by each person thus enabling instruction on the proper technique if needed. It also let the trainer see differences in how our dog behaved differently with both of us.
Example: my husband was a command repeater before correction. I had poor timing with correction and tended to not be firm enough with the correction.
I also think it's important for the dog to learn that it's required to take commands from all humans in the house equally.

#13 ·
I agree, for sport or competition, one handler is best. I want my dogs to know commands are actual commands and not suggestions. So my family knows we allow certain behaviors and they know the words when it comes to what they want from the dogs. Off is used and not platz. Wait is not schtay. etc. Though I am always challenged with the freedom my dogs have because they are family pets before sport dogs.

#14 · (Edited)
I do the training. I'm the animal/house boss. Then I teach my husband what he's doing wrong. ;) But in a perfect world, your husband and my husband would both go to class instead, and work hard at home. One person should train but if you can get attention from the person in the house who's least dominant, it also would be very good. Have them watch class or training, and participate in some things. Otherwise, some dogs tend to walk all over the less dominant members in a household. School's a great place to teach both of them better habits if you have a good trainer.

#16 ·
There were several couples in our training class- it was nice and they took turns working with their dog.

My husband didn't come though, so I had to spend a lot of time catching him up...for example, he would call our dog to Come and if the dog didn't listen, he would just call him again and again (not good to allow them to blow off the recall command repeatedly, right?).

So I think if you can both go, even if one is just observing, it's very helpful!

#17 ·
My husband didn't come though, so I had to spend a lot of time catching him up...for example, he would call our dog to Come and if the dog didn't listen, he would just call him again and again (not good to allow them to blow off the recall command repeatedly, right?).
restrained recalls for the family dynamic is super important. I wish everyone understood the importance of this exercise. Dogs trot to their owner but then go off on a bunny trail is not safe. Running full force to who is calling them is a life saver.

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom
#18 ·
Both. One to handler and one to audit. That way both hear the same instructions and both can ask questions. But my rule was only one person is allowed to handler the dog at a time. And the auditor doesn't get to yap at the handler (because it's usually criticism or directly in conflict of what is being taught).

#19 ·
The nice thing about having your husband come to class (if you can GET him to go!), even just as an observer, is that many husbands don't take instruction well from their wives. I know it's easy for my hubby to blow me off and I'm sure he's not the only one, even though he readily acknowledges that I know way more about dog training than he does and he tells me when he thinks I've done a good job with our dogs. But does he listen to me? No, he does not. :rofl: He always did listen when we were working with a trainer though. So if you've got a command repeater, for example, you can remind him why the trainer said that's not a good idea. He'll be on the same page with what commands you'll be using and what the criteria are.

Reactions: Springbrz
#22 ·
The man of the house as GSD's respond better to men.........................JUST KIDDING!! :wink2::wink2:

Both, it's a great experience and it helps to have someone else their from the home to help remember all of the instructions and tactics.

#27 ·
I don't want to share my toys!:grin2:

My dogs, my rules. If it ain't yours don't touch it.
Even in the fantasy world where my husband would consent to attending I wouldn't want him to. They are not his dogs and if he ever corrected one of them I would correct him!

#26 ·
My hubby supports me in all I want to do when it comes to dogs. I asked him once if he would be OK if I wanted to get an Eng. Bulldog. Hubby; if that's what you want, go ahead. Not sure if I had been serious, what he would have said though but still. I am glad he is not into training so there is no conflict about it either. He has his boats and car and I decide about the dog(s). Both are happy and he has always liked the dogs I brought in, foster dogs as well.

#28 ·
I was lucky as my hubby was the main trainer for my big-boy. I used to take videos of them so that my sweetie could see what the training director saw. Now I have my gal-dog. I still work both dogs but my big-boy still prefers working with my hubs and my gal prefers working with me.
We usually use the same terms and techniques but the both dogs are smart enough to figure out our differences, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.