New Rescue -Whining - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

New Rescue -Whining

Hello, it’s been awhile! We had a lot of help here with our first GSD from a breeder (now 3!) and in August we welcomed a new member.

Bane is our 3 year old, trained.
Summer is our new pup rescue 1 year old.

She has started whining (escalating to barking sometimes) in her crate mostly in the morning and right before food. For food she is triggered by the noise of us opening the bag.

Here is the thing, for bane we were able to train out his whining by doing the ignore and when he is quiet for a few minutes let him out and reward. For Summer, her whining and barking seems to get worst the more we do it.

For going out in the morning:
If she is quiet we take her out. If not we take bane out first and when she is quiet we will take her out.

For food:
If they are out of their crates we place them. If she whines she goes back in her crate and when she is quiet we take her out and place again. (Repeat until she is quiet and we finish pouring the food for her)

Are we doing something wrong? I understand some dogs might be different and maybe what worked for bane might not work for summer. Would an anxiety wrap help her?

Honestly her whine is very obnoxious and you can tell it’s just trying to get what she wants on her time/attention because she will groan and sigh when she gives up and will be fine and relaxed in her crate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:35 AM

You're talking about that shrill whine that makes the eardrums implode,lol!?Here's what I would try:Open her crate door first,stand there and block it until she's quiet for a few seconds.Calm praise and take her outside.Fill the bowls the evening before so they're ready to go with no rustling bag to trigger excitement.Release her from 'place' fairly quickly,seconds rather than minutes.Set her up for success.
I'm thinking the longer you wait for her to calm herself that she is getting more agitated instead of less.So if you start with seconds rather than minutes you might head it off before it starts.
LuvShepherds and Sabis mom like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

My older one, also a rescue, whines for food too. It is so annoying. I let her whine, make her sit and continue sitting while I prepare her food then stand there holding the bowl until she is absolutely quiet. The response hasn’t gone away but she quiets down faster. I think it goes back to being hungry as a puppy. She was abandoned and when they found her, she was scavenging bugs for foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

How long have you had her and do you know anything about her?
Think baby steps. I have a poorly bred dog who struggles with small things, like shut the heck up and sit still.
Example: She wants to go out but is so excited that I can't get her to be still to put a collar on. She's spinning in circles and whining like a crazy thing, with the occasional shrill bark just to help me out. I need to take a deep breathe and resist the urge to throttle her, stand still and ask for a sit. If she moves I stop. Ask for sit again. It took me three repetitions, to teach her to go to the door and sit still. Then we worked on the whining. Same process, if she makes a sound I stop.
I use sit for everything. Letting her out of her crate, she needs to sit first. Giving her food, she needs to sit. Everything.
It's the easiest command to teach, and they literally can't do much else while they are sitting. It's also a command I attach a huge reward to, because it is so useful I want it to be their default. You should find that once she understands what behavior will get her what she wants the whining will lessen, some dogs just really struggle so you may need to break it down and stop it step by step.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 10-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
You're talking about that shrill whine that makes the eardrums implode,lol!?Here's what I would try:Open her crate door first,stand there and block it until she's quiet for a few seconds.Calm praise and take her outside.Fill the bowls the evening before so they're ready to go with no rustling bag to trigger excitement.Release her from 'place' fairly quickly,seconds rather than minutes.Set her up for success.
I'm thinking the longer you wait for her to calm herself that she is getting more agitated instead of less.So if you start with seconds rather than minutes you might head it off before it starts.
Yes! That exact whine haha. I will give this a shot. Thank you we honestly even tried preparing the food in the laundry room but I guess she can still hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
My older one, also a rescue, whines for food too. It is so annoying. I let her whine, make her sit and continue sitting while I prepare her food then stand there holding the bowl until she is absolutely quiet. The response hasn’t gone away but she quiets down faster. I think it goes back to being hungry as a puppy. She was abandoned and when they found her, she was scavenging bugs for foods.
Oh no poor baby! 😞 good to know there is some improvement if we keep at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
How long have you had her and do you know anything about her?
Think baby steps. I have a poorly bred dog who struggles with small things, like shut the heck up and sit still.
Example: She wants to go out but is so excited that I can't get her to be still to put a collar on. She's spinning in circles and whining like a crazy thing, with the occasional shrill bark just to help me out. I need to take a deep breathe and resist the urge to throttle her, stand still and ask for a sit. If she moves I stop. Ask for sit again. It took me three repetitions, to teach her to go to the door and sit still. Then we worked on the whining. Same process, if she makes a sound I stop.
I use sit for everything. Letting her out of her crate, she needs to sit first. Giving her food, she needs to sit. Everything.
It's the easiest command to teach, and they literally can't do much else while they are sitting. It's also a command I attach a huge reward to, because it is so useful I want it to be their default. You should find that once she understands what behavior will get her what she wants the whining will lessen, some dogs just really struggle so you may need to break it down and stop it step by step.
We have had her for a little over 3 months. May I ask what you use as a high reward? Her sit is actually pretty good when she knows it’s for something. (For example when we take her out of her crate to sit for food she will go to the exact spot and sit quickly) however if it’s sit so we can wipe your paws that’s a nope for her! So maybe we need better rewards for that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

I know it seems like she is a poor baby but actually she is very lucky she was found and rescued. She has a very good life now and all the food she needs. But if I give into the sadness surrounding her early puppy days, she would rule the household. We need to be firm handlers and focus on the now. When I say she whines, it’s not that bad. It’s mostly to let me know she is here and waiting. If I give her something else to do I can distract her. Yes,I should have stopped it immediately but I had that same mindset you posted when I first got her, she’s tiny and everyone always spoiled her.

The best reward I use is her meals. When she is sitting and quiet, she gets her bowl. If she whines or acts up, I stand there with it and wait.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by le.tetrish View Post
We have had her for a little over 3 months. May I ask what you use as a high reward? Her sit is actually pretty good when she knows it’s for something. (For example when we take her out of her crate to sit for food she will go to the exact spot and sit quickly) however if it’s sit so we can wipe your paws that’s a nope for her! So maybe we need better rewards for that.
My dogs work mostly for huge praise and play. Shadow hates being towelled off when it rains, so if she stands still long enough to be wiped off she gets to wrestle with the towel, grab it and tug then throw it on the mat and pounce. for her that's a huge reward.
For food treats I buy packages of chicken hearts and bake them. Sliced or crumbled in a Ziploc bag they are awesome and healthy treats. I used to use hotdogs but they are really high in sodium and assorted crap so be mindful of that. When I use them I slice thin and then cut slices in half. Most dogs love them.
Find the reward that she goes nuts for. All dogs are different. My Sabi girl went bonkers for carrots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page