Leerburg - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Leerburg

I have been working with my gsd puppy (16 weeks) and Iíve noticed leerburg comes up a lot on the forum. Iíve checked out their site. So be straight with me, as far as their training videos go, whatís the good, the bad, and the ugly? Which videos/clusters are worth buying? Attempting to train a schutzhund dog here.

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck94! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Master Member

Anything by Michael Ellis will be worth the money. The problem with videos is that you don't always learn the reason why the training is being done a certain way and you don't get feedback about tweaking an approach for your individual dog, or why another approach might work better. But Ellis is a very good teacher and usually explains why he is doing what he is doing. Finding a good club with good helpers is the best way to go, but they are few and far between. IMO, there is a lot of poor training in the states.
CometDog and Chuck94! like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Master Member

I bought a Michael Ellis video series thing from Leerburg - I enjoyed it and he is a great teacher. Would love to see him in action in person

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

I got a lot out of everything by Michael Ellis, we did the interactive classes too. Huge improvement in everything on my end caused a huge improvement in my dog's performance. We don't do schutzhund. Competing in AKC, ASCA, WCRL, CDSP obedience and rally, as well as tracking and dock diving. The one video of his I've never seen is on dock diving and I am always meaning to watch it.

Seems like at least around here, a lot of the AKC obedience people are kind of lacking in teaching engagement. Can be a lot of compulsion and a lot of dogs slinking around looking miserable and I have no interest in doing obedience if that's what it is for us.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 PM

+100 on Michael Ellis
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Elite Member

I love Micheal Ellis. But find that Forrest Micke a little more detailed. Tyler Muto works morelwer drive dogs, but often uses a different approach over marker training. Learning about the concepts of marker training firs time will really help.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

Check youtube first. There are a lot of free videos from very good trainers. Stonnie Dennis is my favorite but this forum also recommends others.
Nscullin likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:57 PM

There is a lot to be learned from the ME videos. That said, if you are serious about IPG (that's the acronym of the month I believe) you should get involved in a club asap.
dogbyte likes this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
There is a lot to be learned from the ME videos. That said, if you are serious about IPG (that's the acronym of the month I believe) you should get involved in a club asap.

Iím sorry, what are the ME videos?? Iím not extremely well versed yet on the topic. And Iím involved in one already. My pup is still fairly young. Only 16 weeks. Goal is bh by 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

Michael Ellis
Nscullin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in