chewing on dumbbell - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By CometDog
  • 1 Post By JamesAndFido

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

chewing on dumbbell

I finally got myself a dumbbell for training now.
We did all the steps, retrieve, proper sit in front of me and hold already with a tug before without a problem.
After a few fail attempts of him being unsure how to pick up the dumbbell all of that worked really well besides one little issue.
Whenever he retrieves and sits in front of me holding the dumbbell he starts to chew on it.
How can I teach him to hold without chewing on it?

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

I back chained it and the very first thing I taught was the hold with a piece of PVC pipe. Then by the time we got to arriving with the dumb bell the hold was the thing he had done the longest, and he knew what to do.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Teach the hold separately. Do you have clubs near you?

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Teach the hold separately. Do you have clubs near you?
Hold was the first thing we originally worked on and he never chewed on the tug we used. I have to search for a new club first as I had some problems in the old one I was going to. I am a little limited in searching for one right now so I just wanted to train on my own for as long as necessary.
I do have a trainer for my other pup though so I will ask her at the next opportunity whether she can refer me to someone she knows that could help me out for the time being.

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

When you add the dumbbell it isn't uncommon to have to take some steps back. She needs to relearn the hold with the dumbbell.

Are you training for IGP/IPO?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

My dog finally has the retrieve and sit with it in front of me down pat. We are working on the occasional chewing now. I taught "hold" separately. So now sometimes I have to remind him with a quiet "hold" command when he does chew. Then I have a big party once he has it nice and still and is staring at me for a few moments. Need to phase out the hold word. I'm novice, I don't even know how I actually taught it. It just kind of happened it and was comical and blundering along the way.
Tennessee and JamesAndFido like this.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
When you add the dumbbell it isn't uncommon to have to take some steps back. She needs to relearn the hold with the dumbbell.

Are you training for IGP/IPO?
I would have liked to do IGP but he just isn't made for it so we are sticking with obedience, agility and maybe some trailing down the line.
We'll try tomorrow going back a few steps and see how it goes.
lhczth likes this.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page