German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Out of the box training “treats.” (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/757889-out-box-training-treats.html)

Jchrest 09-22-2019 10:06 PM

112 Attachment(s)
We try to use raw fresh treats instead of commercial treats during training, and I’m starting to run out of ideas. What we’ve used so far, all diced into small manageable pieces:

Apples
Carrots
Tomatoes (frozen)
Unpasteurized cheeses
Melons (frozen)
Cucumber (frozen)
Plain cooked chicken

I will not bake anything for the dogs that are complicated, because 1. I’m lazy 2. I’m lazy

Does anyone have any other simple fresh treats they use for training? Crios is a picky eater, and cucumbers are the only thing besides the chicken he will take as a training treat. Lyka loves her apples, but will pretty much take anything. Floki hasn’t turned down anything I offer him, and we’ve found Seiran more toy motivated than treat motivated.

I’m not opposed to raw meat as long as it’s frozen, but I’m not sure which meats will mess up their diet ratios or if it will mess up diet ratios. And Lyka and Crios have never been into raw meat, in any form, except meaty bones as the occasional chew on treat.

Pytheis 09-22-2019 10:51 PM

Archer enjoys cooked eggs. I cook them in coconut oil, add some organic ham (sometimes), then freeze it. I then cut it up into small, bite-sized treats, and he goes crazy. I freeze it because it’s easier to cut that way.

Springbrz 09-22-2019 11:14 PM

Blueberries
Raspberries
Raw Coconut meat
Low sodium organic beef hot dogs (limited amount high value treat)
Green beans
Meat (any cooked meat including liver)
Frozen plain yogurt (those fancy silicone mini ice cube trays would make good treat size bites
Scrambled egg pieces

Dunkirk 09-22-2019 11:29 PM

I use a slice of cheese, cut into 25-30 little squares. Quick, easy, and portion control.

Jenny720 09-23-2019 08:25 AM

I like using mozzarella sticks cut up in small pieces. Hotdogs cut up they have all kinds of hot dogs - low sodium, turkey. Certain hot dogs can be great Hebrew national were the Least greasy for regular hot dogs.

I know people use cooked liver. Raw you have to watch with it is not that clean to use in regards to the bacteria. Same with dehydrated beef patties they make great training treats but you have to be careful of the bacteria.

Certain dogs like toy rewards: Max will do anything for his ball and gets super highly motivated and his brain moves fast so if I do train him doing something new I use treats then when he gets it I use his ball as reward.

Bramble 09-23-2019 09:09 AM

I use meals for training at home and don't really use "treats". If I am away from home I will use Happy Howie Rolls or dehydrated raw bites. A few different brands do dehydrated raw now and you can order online or find it in a pet store. My Lab mix will eat anything, my GSD is much pickier and will spit stuff out or just refuse to take it if he doesn't like it. Dehydrated raw works best for him if I am taking a class. He also loves freeze dried smelt or sardines.

K9kandyboxes sells a variety of dehydrated treats https://www.instagram.com/k9kandyboxes/

wolfy dog 09-23-2019 01:27 PM

Yes to dehydrated raw bites. Got them at Chewy's in all kinds of meats. Best so far. Only to teach new behavior (weaning off asap) though, so sparingly.
But she always get the ends of a banana, just for begging for them and looking cute, nothing else ;)

Jchrest 09-23-2019 01:30 PM

Thanks guys! Great ideas. I never thought of berries, I’m a weirdo and don’t like them, so I never buy them. I’ll look into the raw treats on Chewy too!

xthine 09-23-2019 02:18 PM

Josie and Haylie are on raw so when it comes to training treats I try to give them raw/single ingredient as much as possible. I’ve tried different brands of freeze dried raw treats from Chewy. I would say their favorites are beef/green tripe and chicken hearts. Others are rabbit and lamb bites, beef liver. Josie is not a fan of minnows but Haylie and the cats love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jax08 09-23-2019 02:41 PM

Shared from a friend

Tuna Fudge!

1.5-2 cups of flour
2-3 cans of tuna (not drained)
2-3 eggs.

Bake at 375 for 15-25 minutes stick a fork in it and make sure it pulls out clean. Similar to brownies.

You want the consistency to be very thick almost dough like not runny at all or it will crumble once it’s baked. It’s a great treat and dogs love it.