Giving a dog his lead - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Elite Member

I drive my car to where I walk my dog, a part industrial/rural area. Nitro's on a long, loose line. He knows
'lets go', 'slow down', 'quick quick', 'stop', 'wait', 'sit', 'drop', 'no', 'this way' (I'm 'challenged' when it comes to left and right). I use 'lift' for him to raise a paw if the lead is in his way, very useful. Sometimes I'll have him drop/stay, I'll walk to the end of his line, and throw a stick or toy for him to chase.

I don't let him pee on everything, 'leave it' command and he won't. I don't mind him air sniffing interesting parked vehicles, but no peeing is permitted on other people's property. What I find interesting is, if he stops to sniff something, and I keep going, he can run past me, but knows when he gets to the end of the line and slows down. Kind of like I know how much coffee I have left in my favourite cup without looking.

I'm happy to let him sniff as he's using his brain, the purpose of the walk is to get a mind and body workout, and to have fun. A couple of times when Nitro has been sleeping, I've been able to tell what he's dreaming about. One dream I watched was, tail thump, thump, thump, legs and feet twitch, twitch, twitch, and then he lifted his hind leg at right angles, all while sleeping. My interpretation was, he was told he was going for a walk (thump thump with the tail), he was walking/running (paw/leg twitching), he found something worthwhile to mark/pee on (hind leg at right angles).

On a walk he's checking in on me all the time. He heels when other people pass, but that happens rarely. In hot, humid weather I let him lie down when he needs to, to prevent overheating. Currently we're in winter, so he doesn't need to. We walk early morning/dawn, the best part of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

A walk is for them but also for you. So as long as they don’t pull I would think it’s much more enjoyable to have a natural walk versus structured. Learning to walk on a leash there would be heeling on the leash and teaching the dogs to do that but other then that I like the dogs to be free as they can on a Leash. I went hiking at the shrine with my sister and kids and they just had mass so it was very crowded I had no issues with the dogs peeing on anything - well really max the leg lifter but he just seemed to know to not do this or the slightest reminder if he looked like he was going to do this- way to many beautiful statues and gardens and all in loose leash and still getting to smell everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-09-2019 at 09:09 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

A "walk" for many takes a human and dog into many different elements..... the "walk" started off much different than what many are describing.....most are describing what it evolved into....due to training/repetition/ situations/ dog's behavior/handler's mindset etc.......the "walk" is not a showcase for the public but more so a learned behavior for the dog which complements the desire of the handler's choice of how dog and human should migrate together with all scenarios taken into consideration.

IMHO....a "walk" is not just for the dog......it is a joint effort of human and dog traveling together in sync. GSDs do this wonderfully well and a human can do this just as well.....keeping the breed's instincts in mind......traffic lead, long line or unleashed....it ultimately should be the same.

SuperG
Jenny720, Dunkirk and GSDchoice like this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

@SuperG beautifully said
Dunkirk likes this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

I did the mix of ways! At first on walking with him beside me most of the walk as learning loose leash, a mix of that and sniff time! Now days moo is getting up there, at least 12 (he was an adult dog when my son got him 10 years ago!) so it's a slow rambling walk! He stops when he wants to sniff or take in the sight or smells in the air! he doesn't mark any more on walks which was kind of odd at first to me, but maybe just part of aging, doesn't feel the need to make his presence known, he's content with the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page