Introducing muzzle to doggo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Introducing muzzle to doggo

Hi all. 2 months ago I moved to a new apartment. Unlike my previous one which was a one-bedroom, it is a studio apartment (albeit, quite spacey). I've got to say it has taken a little bit of a toll with us, I really have had to up his exercise and have started putting on a backpack on my dog on walks to drain his energy even more.

I've recently gotten acquainted with my next door neighbour, who has a 4 year-old female frenchie. I've met the dog, she's quite an energetic one. Now since next week would be my last day of work for the next 2 months, my neighbour has asked me if I could walk her dog for money.

Problem is, ever since my dog and I got attacked by another dog last September, I've noticed that my dog's behaviour towards other dogs have changed for the worse. He's definitely not as friendly which is why I've not taken him back to the dog park and have replaced dog parks with bicycling together. That being said, thankfully he's still just a big sweetheart to humans. My trainer is out of town at the moment, we'll be starting our training again in June.

For the time being, I'd like to see if I could walk my dog and my neighbour's dog at the same time. If I have to walk them separately, I'd be wasting a lot of time and energy. I should start walking my neighbour's dog next week. Now I'm looking into basket muzzle, and I'm gonna introduce him to the muzzle and going on walks with it on, for the next week before I start possibly walking them together.

I was wondering what do you guys think if I introduce my dog to my neighbour's dog - with my dog wearing a basket muzzle (so he can still pant and have a treat), and possibly walking them together. Would it be a good idea?

As always, appreciate your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Also, the title should've been, 'Introducing doggo to other doggo while wearing a muzzle.' ..........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Master Member

I have heard that dogs can feel disadvantaged if they are wearing a muzzle and the other dog is not ( kind of like being the one on a leash in the dog park)? I don't have personal experience though. I do use a Baskerville muzzle occasionally for vet visit and handling - but haven't used it to meet other dogs.

Have you and neighbor ever taken your dogs for a walk together?
You could kind of check out how they get along and how their "chemistry" is.
After you get to know the other dog, you can kind of tell how they will get along together.
( For example, I could walk my dog and L for miles, no problem. My dog and N...well, she annoys him sometimes because she's very playful and jumpy on leash. My dog and S, again no problem. My dog and the black dog on the cul-de-sac...they'd kill each other.)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

That's what I was doubting; that they feel disadvantaged. I'd love for both dogs to meet officially, but at this moment I don't really trust myself or my dog, hence the basket muzzle. I also tried researching online, all I could find was 'introducing dogs to muzzle' not 'introducing dogs WHILE wearing a muzzle'.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
Hi all. 2 months ago I moved to a new apartment. Unlike my previous one which was a one-bedroom, it is a studio apartment (albeit, quite spacey). I've got to say it has taken a little bit of a toll with us, I really have had to up his exercise and have started putting on a backpack on my dog on walks to drain his energy even more.

I've recently gotten acquainted with my next door neighbour, who has a 4 year-old female frenchie. I've met the dog, she's quite an energetic one. Now since next week would be my last day of work for the next 2 months, my neighbour has asked me if I could walk her dog for money.

Problem is, ever since my dog and I got attacked by another dog last September, I've noticed that my dog's behaviour towards other dogs have changed for the worse. He's definitely not as friendly which is why I've not taken him back to the dog park and have replaced dog parks with bicycling together. That being said, thankfully he's still just a big sweetheart to humans. My trainer is out of town at the moment, we'll be starting our training again in June.

For the time being, I'd like to see if I could walk my dog and my neighbour's dog at the same time. If I have to walk them separately, I'd be wasting a lot of time and energy. I should start walking my neighbour's dog next week. Now I'm looking into basket muzzle, and I'm gonna introduce him to the muzzle and going on walks with it on, for the next week before I start possibly walking them together.

I was wondering what do you guys think if I introduce my dog to my neighbour's dog - with my dog wearing a basket muzzle (so he can still pant and have a treat), and possibly walking them together. Would it be a good idea?

As always, appreciate your time.
Typically, dogs can become accustomed to different levels of exercise. Upping the level of exercise is ok, but be aware this "new level" may become the expected level. If time or other factors cause a reduction in the amount of exercise you might have a restless athletic dog looking for an outlet.

On the point of muzzles, be aware that damage can still happen just due to the sheer size difference. My male can use his muzzle quite forcefully. With your own doubts and uncertainty of your dogs reaction I would wait for your trainer to return or seek the guidance of another.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
That's what I was doubting; that they feel disadvantaged. I'd love for both dogs to meet officially, but at this moment I don't really trust myself or my dog, hence the basket muzzle. I also tried researching online, all I could find was 'introducing dogs to muzzle' not 'introducing dogs WHILE wearing a muzzle'.....
yea, I know! There's not much info about it.

The only place I heard about it is when I was looking into rescued racing grayhounds. They are all used to wearing muzzles, but it was discouraged from bringing your greyhound to a dog park and having him/her be the only muzzled dog there (creates defensiveness).

I do hear that the best way to actually introduce two dogs is to begin walking them separate, with one behind the other at a distance, then pull alongside, then let them walk side by side. What about an introduction that way, before you walk the two dogs actually together?

Or you could just try the muzzled intro and if it goes badly, let her know that you don't think walking her dog will work (or walk her dog separate...which I agree, it's a lot of time and energy! You will be very fit...!!)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Do you have a friend who could handle the frenchie on a few walks, see how they do? That way you won't have to use a muzzle, you can use the leashes as needed to keep the dog separated.

I do like the baskerville or greyhound muzzles, but in this scenario, I think asking a friend to handle the frenchie and keeping your dog unmuzzled is the best solution. Any danger signs, you go separate ways, and you would walk the frenchie on her own. No harm done.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hey guys. Thank you so much for the responses! Good news, my trainer is back in town. We are going to do some training, starting this weekend. It's about time. As always, appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page