Corrections in dog training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Corrections in dog training

My (not so little) buddy has turned a year just a few days ago. We spend twice a week, overall about 4 hours, at our dog school where we are making great progress along with my daily own training sessions. At the dog school I go to corrections are completely normal hence its not rare that some people attend once and are never to be seen again. When I use any leash corrections outside on my walks or just a regular training session out in public I frequently have people yell at me, talk loudly about how abusive they find leash corrections or just look at me in shock. Have I missed the point where people decided corrections arent necessary, even cruel ? I have been using an e-collar with vibration and sound function only ('shock collars' are illegal here) for a few days now. So far we have been working on the introduction of the vibration to the recall and its already showing very good results in our standard outside environment. The looks I get from people though are piercing and I had someone stop right next to us whilest training and just staring at the remote in my hand. Whilest I personally think that e-collars and prongs, which are also banned here, are great tools if properly used, I can understand why for some people it might look cruel. What I do not understand is how people think it is alright to straight up insult me without starting a conversation. My dog does not respond anxiously but walks tail wagging back to me whilest training so why do people assume I am hurting my dog? Funny (or maybe sadly) enough some of the same people that gave me these kind of reactions some months ago now come up to me saying they think its great how well my dog does this or that by now... I spend so much time working with my dog from a training perspective and working on a relationship with him but people seem to think they can judge me by a split second they see of a 5 - 6 hour active daily engagement that I have with my dog. Does anyone else have this problem frequently or is it just because I live in a big city that the concentration of so many 'purely positive training' people seems so high. I'd like to add that I dont exclusively work with corrections but also with food and more so with toys as his drive is much better with that.

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 PM

People don't think rationally, they think emotionally. You can't convince them of anything unless they have tried it. People get this way about kids, too. I've actually been told not to tell children NO. Yeah, that changed fast so perhaps someday people will realize that PP doesn't work for all things. Dogs generally won't crumple and die if they are told no under fairly. It is when people don't show their dogs what is expected, then get angry and just lash out! That is what makes dogs die inside, a little each time.

Your buddy is only a year old and it takes a couple of years to mature fully. Even then, there will be times when you will have to tell your dog, NO, not that, do this instead. It will just become less and less frequent. So enjoy going out and playing with your pup. Teach it how good life is when you two work as a team. Those who complain, ask them to show you their dogs. If their dogs are great you might be able to pick up a few tips from them. If their dogs are a menace, laugh when they can't hear you.
cliffson1 and tim_s_adams like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:40 PM
Elite Member

Perhaps the ones that are commenting just assume that the collar and remote they see has the stim option also and assume that you are breaking the law as well as all the rest of the misguided info concerning that type of collar.

Are you giving collar pops using a regular flat collar? Im just curious as it would seem difficult to give an effective correction with a flat collar.

Sometimes when I'm walking my guy (on a prong) I will take up most of the slack on the leash and put the leash holding hand in my jacket pocket. If a correction is warranted, I can give a very quick pop as I do a little side step away from him. To an onlooker, it just looks like my side step caused my guy to pay attention. Add a "lets go" and it looks very innocent, not monstrous at all.

It's just a couple of thoughts. I would just keep walking when strangers approach.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Those who complain, ask them to show you their dogs. If their dogs are great you might be able to pick up a few tips from them. If their dogs are a menace, laugh when they can't hear you.
That's the thing these people come up to me to complain being dragged by their dog. I even had people tell me off that had their dogs bark at me pulling in my direction. I didn't have one owner of a properly trained dog come up to me so far and complain.
car2ner likes this.

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Are you giving collar pops using a regular flat collar? Im just curious as it would seem difficult to give an effective correction with a flat collar.

Sometimes when I'm walking my guy (on a prong) I will take up most of the slack on the leash and put the leash holding hand in my jacket pocket. If a correction is warranted, I can give a very quick pop as I do a little side step away from him. To an onlooker, it just looks like my side step caused my guy to pay attention. Add a "lets go" and it looks very innocent, not monstrous at all.

It's just a couple of thoughts. I would just keep walking when strangers approach.
Yes I am correcting on a flat collar as, as I mentioned, prongs are illegal here. The dog trainers at the dog school gave me very good tips on how and when to properly correct so it's been working really well even with a flat collar, although I am sure it would be easier with a prong. The side step sounds like something worth trying out so I'll try that on the next walk I'll have.

Quote:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:31 AM
Knighted Member

Because people are clueless. They would rather see a high drive dog put down for being unmanageable, than be manageable with a prong or e-collar.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:40 AM

I was at a dog friendly beach last summer with Zelda, we was in the parking lot getting ready to leave I had her in a sit stay at the back of my SUV while we was packing stuff up and getting my then 3 year old son dried off. Zelda decided to break her stay and jump in the back of the SUV, now this is a command she knows , she just really loves car rides and wanted to get in. So I gave her a leash correction (on a prong) and made her get back out and stay again while we finished getting ready. A young couple with a fat yappy dog started to video us with their phone, when my husband asked them if they had a problem and why was they pointing their camera at us, they said it was because we are abusing our dog! They proceeded to yell at us and tell us they were calling the police, I told them to go ahead and call we would wait for them, of course they never did.

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
They proceeded to yell at us and tell us they were calling the police, I told them to go ahead and call we would wait for them, of course they never did.
Oh yes I had something similar aswell. I was working on our heeling and a woman yelled at me that it's abusive that I expect my dog to look at me the entire time. She started to film us and told me she would take it to the police but obviously I never heard from her again.

Quote:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:38 AM

I guess I've been blessed. I've had people say that it was nice to see someone how had actually trained their dogs. I also get, "I wish my dogs behaved like that" and when I say, "they can" they stop talking to me.

My dogs aren't perfect and one made a bad call not long ago, but I put it more on me than him. He was just being a dog. If I had my dog hooked up properly to the proper equipment, that error in judgement probably wouldn't have happened.
Kyrielle likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I guess I've been blessed. I've had people say that it was nice to see someone how had actually trained their dogs. I also get, "I wish my dogs behaved like that" and when I say, "they can" they stop talking to me.
We have a lake nearby that we frequently go to for training where a lot of older people live. These are probably the only people that actually come up to me start a conversation tell me how great they think it is to see people train their dogs and usually continue to tell me about the dogs they owned 'back in the days'. When we go on off leash (long leash for now) walks in the woods we also meet many jogger that thank me for calling my dog next to me that have frequent experiences of off leash dogs running after them and even snap at them.
car2ner likes this.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page