Corrections in dog training - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I guess I've been blessed. I've had people say that it was nice to see someone how had actually trained their dogs. I also get, "I wish my dogs behaved like that" and when I say, "they can" they stop talking to me.

My dogs aren't perfect and one made a bad call not long ago, but I put it more on me than him. He was just being a dog. If I had my dog hooked up properly to the proper equipment, that error in judgement probably wouldn't have happened.
Same here. We call those people 98%'ers. The remaining 2% of people we meet hassle us.
Kyrielle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Member
 
CactusWren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 74
My trainer has recently showed me how to do a leash pop, and she recommended a prong collar. Since Jupiter's worn the prong collar, he has been much more docile on walks. The way I look at it, now he's not pulling my arm off, and he's not feeling much pressure on his neck. We just walk. It's nice.

I haven't really done any of the pops, but in our school, the word "No" is also considered a correction. If he does something wrong, he gets a "No." Then he knows he's doing something wrong. I've seen it work, especially when before he'd get up from his bed, pop up from a sit, or other things. Once I'd say, "No," be quickly began to understand the other side of the behavior.

It's funny that in societies that use both positive and negative training for humans (that is, financial and status rewards, and jail and fines and prison--if not even execution), there is a common dislike of the same spectrum for dogs.
CactusWren is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importance of corrections - balanced training Dainerra Training Theory & Methods 11 05-15-2013 09:15 AM
IPO (pics/vid) & Carma's club debut GatorDog Schutzhund/IPO Training 11 03-05-2013 12:09 AM
Who else wants their dog to be well behaved around people and other dogs? professionaldogtraining Germanshepherds.com Vendors 0 01-29-2013 03:08 PM
Treat Pouches and Training Treats... What's your favorite? KZoppa General Information 36 01-16-2012 12:11 AM
100% reliable recall Colorado How do I (teach my dog to)? 158 02-06-2008 03:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome