E Collar first session - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 52Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

E Collar first session

Hello guys,

We did the first session today. It went well but I have a few questions:

I have this E Collar https://www.educatorcollars.com/educ...-300-plus.html with the double boxes and a bungee.

I am using the longer probes that came with it. Fitted high on the neck and the boxes right under the chin.

I tried it on the palm of my hand and I felt it at 15. Using Lou's recall protocol.

We went out with the long leash. Wandered around. Started the process of finding the working level. Till 15 nothing. I am 100% that the contact was good, because at 15, the muscle was moving behind his shoulder from the back. But zero reaction, zero. Until 21 when he turned his head but I am talking about a very slight turn with zero nervousness. No startling, no ear twitch, looking down.

I kept at that level and walked around. When he moved away and I was stationary, I pressed continuous stim, he turned his head to my direction (not right away, after stimming for 1-2 seconds), I pulled on the leash slightly and as he started walking the first steps towards me, I released the button. Did that maybe 10 times. The last couple of times I added "come". When he got to me I gave him a treat.

It was remarkably smooth, he had zero nervousness. Just was being himself. We went to play a bit after and done.

I was surprised that he did not react till 21 while I slightly felt it at 15....Does anyone use this model with the small two boxes?

Any feedback on above much appreciated.

Thank you
RockyK9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Master Member

There can be a great amount of variation between dogs as to what their working level is and it doesn't necessarily have to do with a dog's nerves or toughness. Some dogs reactive at the slightest stim and some have to have a significantly higher working level. I can't tell you why.
cliffson1 and RockyK9 like this.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM

E collars can work but you really have to know what you are doing. Understanding how to use it, well I guess you should start there. Why do you feel the need for an E collar. How old is your dog and what are the issues you are trying to correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 PM

I think the thickness of the fur has a lot to do with the level of stim needed to make contact with the e-collar. Even with longer contacts for one of my pups, he usually needs a higher level of stim than the other. This really keeps me on my toes with making sure of the settings before sending the stim. Also the level of distraction can make a huge difference in the level needed for the dog to make notice. It sounds like you are doing things right by using a long leash and teaching the dog how to turn off the stim in a controlled situation. Move slowly so that the dog understands and don't forget to reward the dog for getting it right in addition to stopping the stim. Used correctly, the e-collar is a valuable tool. It has allowed me to give my pups the freedom to run and play in the woods.

BTW, I use a Dogtra and which has a stim range of 0-100. I can only feel it at about 20-21 on my own hand.
RockyK9 likes this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

You don't want to use the first time you put it on so the dog doesn't become 'collar-smart'. Have him wear it for two weeks first.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozi View Post
Hello guys,

We did the first session today. It went well but I have a few questions:

I have this E Collar https://www.educatorcollars.com/educ...-300-plus.html with the double boxes and a bungee.

I am using the longer probes that came with it. Fitted high on the neck and the boxes right under the chin.

I tried it on the palm of my hand and I felt it at 15. Using Lou's recall protocol.

We went out with the long leash. Wandered around. Started the process of finding the working level. Till 15 nothing. I am 100% that the contact was good, because at 15, the muscle was moving behind his shoulder from the back. But zero reaction, zero. Until 21 when he turned his head but I am talking about a very slight turn with zero nervousness. No startling, no ear twitch, looking down.

I kept at that level and walked around. When he moved away and I was stationary, I pressed continuous stim, he turned his head to my direction (not right away, after stimming for 1-2 seconds), I pulled on the leash slightly and as he started walking the first steps towards me, I released the button. Did that maybe 10 times. The last couple of times I added "come". When he got to me I gave him a treat.

It was remarkably smooth, he had zero nervousness. Just was being himself. We went to play a bit after and done.

I was surprised that he did not react till 21 while I slightly felt it at 15....Does anyone use this model with the small two boxes?

Any feedback on above much appreciated.

Thank you
All dogs are different with the stimulations levels . Sounds like a successful session overall. Good work ! As you add more distractions its likely you will need to dial up further .
cliffson1 likes this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
E collars can work but you really have to know what you are doing. Understanding how to use it, well I guess you should start there. Why do you feel the need for an E collar. How old is your dog and what are the issues you are trying to correct.
I don't think its being used to "correct" any issues but simply to train . Low level stimulations are not corrections. Sounds like they have a good start and LouCastles methods are very effective .
cliffson1 and Mudypoz like this.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 PM
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinstructor View Post

BTW, I use a Dogtra and which has a stim range of 0-100. I can only feel it at about 20-21 on my own hand.
I do as well. It's been great.

Like others have said, all dogs are different. Mei's working level is 18-22. I've caught myself using the buzz feature more lately and it's been effective.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyK9 View Post
I don't think its being used to "correct" any issues but simply to train . Low level stimulations are not corrections. Sounds like they have a good start and LouCastles methods are very effective .
Hi Rocky, I am sourcing Lou's material from here eCollar | SIRIUS DOG and from his posts from the site as his site is down. Do you happen to know of nay other repository where his methods are all laid out?

Many thanks
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
You don't want to use the first time you put it on so the dog doesn't become 'collar-smart'. Have him wear it for two weeks first.
I have had it on him for about a week plus Off , on , random etc....now we are going out and will be putting it but not using it etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in