E Collar first session - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
They don't work very well for sit. Think about this...the dogs move AWAY from the pressure (stim) so the collars have to be wrapped around their waist with the collar on their backs in order to work for a Sit. And I have seen people do that. So you didn't foul it up. It just doesn't work very well for that particular command.

Nonononono, ya got to wrap it around the tail.

Lol. I wasn't teaching the sit. Poor wording on my part. He refused acceptance of the collar. After the second day or so, Soon as I called him to collar up he would lay down flat and glue his face/neck to the floor. He loves getting collared up to go out so I knew I wasn't doing it right. Threw it in the drawer and never put it on him again. It was all me and not doing better research, dealing with gadgets and buttons. Wish I hadnt fouled up because he had his basics down and all I wanted it for was to be able to let him off leash and use it to get his attention. he is so zoned in with his scenting and zones out on everything else.

And again big kudos for Mozilla for doing the research.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Nonononono, ya got to wrap it around the tail.

Lol. I wasn't teaching the sit. Poor wording on my part. He refused acceptance of the collar. After the second day or so, Soon as I called him to collar up he would lay down flat and glue his face/neck to the floor. He loves getting collared up to go out so I knew I wasn't doing it right. Threw it in the drawer and never put it on him again. It was all me and not doing better research, dealing with gadgets and buttons. Wish I hadnt fouled up because he had his basics down and all I wanted it for was to be able to let him off leash and use it to get his attention. he is so zoned in with his scenting and zones out on everything else.

And again big kudos for Mozilla for doing the research.
I think it is one of those things that one could easily screw up as it is very easy to press the button. Also one needs to do some trial and error, and when not blessed with having a super experienced trainer around, it could get tricky. The dogs need time to process...

I screwed up twice in the early part of the journey where he did vocalise. I jumped into play and treat for him to think it was nothing. I felt like **** but it was part of the trial and error process I think, probably similar to an over correction using another tool. But I went VERY careful after those two incidents. Patience and always associated things with fun and treats.

Now, since we started, we are good and consistent about it all and I think I (luckily) passed the trial and error above. I rarely go up more than 7-8. Max at 10. If you see my earlier posts about levels, you can see the progress down in the levels. I am very happy that now we communicate at that low level.

I use it very little now. Very. His off leash is good but I do have it on as a back up when he is off leash. The come is very good and unless he is going crazy in a precarious situation, I dont use it. If I do, it is a small "nick" at 7-10 depending on the distraction. I say it with the command now. I don't say "No". He gets it as communication and does not think I am correcting. He comes happily and the ratre times I use it and when he comes, I throw a party.

I did lots of research yes, and I lucked out that my trial and error went ok. I am also now very glad that every day we can go run and play off leash in the park (not a dog park and not fenced) and that we have this communication. It gave me the peace of mind and him an amazing freedom.

We were in the desert the other day with some friends who had a Mali / Husky Mix. When we arrived, one of the people saw my remote and said what is this? I explained. She said, oh this is where you electrocute your dog. I was kind of angry and told her I would never hurt my dog. The dogs played and played. At some point, a team of off road cars passed in not very far distance. The Mali / Husky went off and went and all the group went after her and she would not stop. I told Rex, "go get her!" and I was not worried that he would not come back. He ran and ran, caught up to her, I called him back and they came. Didnt stim but it was on and I was ready. The girl who told me about the "electrocution" came and said now I get it.....They ordered one for the Mal / Mix and I offered to help. Here are some pictures of the the desert trip

Best

Mozi
Attached Images

Heartandsoul and dogma13 like this.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 PM

@Heartandsoul if you decide to try the e collar again at some point,if you use the same method as when you got him to accept the insecticide it would be less traumatic for you bothHe could get used to wearing it again.
Heartandsoul likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

Mozi, first, my apologies for the reference to your name as mozilla. It was a stupid auto correct that I didn't catch. I have to say that it is absolutely joyful reading and seeing others who have correctly mastered this tool in order to give their dogs that freedom. It just makes me smile and way back when, it was what I wished and a goal I had for my boy. But as is often times the case, with us there were several other factors that I had to take into consideration and caused the decision not to continue. A big one was the learning curve and my own abilities with things in my hand. With the length of time it took for me to master the proper use of the prong and the number of mis timed corrections and number of corrections that probably were not necessary, I just didn't want him to have to deal with another learning curve. On a funny note, one trainer wanted me to learn the clicker. And yup I couldn't get that one right either. Marking with a yes was so much easier so the trainer told me not to bother when it became so obvious. Lol.

Dogma, thanks for the suggestion, and it would be how I would approach it if I ever decided to give it a try again.

I really think this thread is a great example of how to do it right and is probably a really good incentive for others. That story of sending Rex out to bring back the husky is amazing. And thanks for sharing your learning process of it from the beginning. All three of you look so happy.
Mozi likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

@Heartandsoul The first time I got a ecollar was the dogtra arc. I tried it on Max according to all That read and time then to get him used to a working level and he was not getting it at all. Very Upset with myself and quite disappointed I put it away. A little later I just happen to get connected with a trainer who showed me how to use the ecollar. She bred gsds and did a lot of obedience and trials with her dogs and she had a Garmin sport e collar and I felt it was so much easier to use. She lived locals and went to her house. She showed me on Max who was not getting it right away as I feared I screwed him up with it. It just a few minutes and he I really saw figured it out. She then taught me how to use it. I went out and bought the garmin sport and figure I would hold onto the dogtra arc because it was past the date of return - rather selling it I kept the arc. Which is good because sometimes I use it with Luna and now I am comfortable using the arc as well. I have watched you tube videos read articles. Got the book but really hands on is what I needed and once I learned how to use the collar now I had to use the e collar and the more I used it the more comfortable I became with it.
Heartandsoul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick one guys, something I referenced to earlier in case someone missed it.

On www.considerthedog.com there is a course called Mastering the E Collar by Tyler Muto. I watched all youbes, read larry krohn, book, and purchased M. Ellis E collar course vids. The best most concise and "deep" information and instruction I was able to get was from Tyler's course, by far.

Cheers to all

Mozilla
dogma13 and Saco like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page