Turn and Face - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Turn and Face

I've been seeing this method posted on social media, but can't really figure out what it actually entails. It is apparently a method for working with reactive dogs. In the interest of continuing education- has anyone tried this, and what is it? Seems to me it is a form of BAT (maybe CAT), but I am unclear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:05 PM

could you clarify a bit more?

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I am just wondering if anyone has heard of this technique, and what it is, exactly? Curious if it is something innovative that I may be able to use, or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:19 PM
Master Member

Sounds similar to the Look At That game in Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:23 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I've never heard of it, at least not by that name. I do know of the Look At That! game and have read Control Unleashed, but I've only ever seen that method attributed to Leslie McDevitt, under either its full name or LAT for short.

Since you've been seeing it on social media, why don't you ask for details there? Somebody is apparently using it and I'm sure they could describe it for you.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:26 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Sounds similar to the Look At That game in Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt.
I don't know about that, unless someone is grossly misinterpreting the concept. The whole point of LAT is a quick glance at the trigger and then reorienting to the owner. The dog really isn't supposed to turn and face the trigger, just acknowledge it, and never actually interact with it.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I don't know about that, unless someone is grossly misinterpreting the concept. The whole point of LAT is a quick glance at the trigger and then reorienting to the owner. The dog really isn't supposed to turn and face the trigger, just acknowledge it, and never actually interact with it.

Well is it turn and face the handler or turn and face something else? I'm not sure which Muskeg is referencing. If it is turn and face something or someone other than the handler then no that would not be LAT.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:07 AM

OK, I've been doing this all along...I turn my dogs by walking into them rather than grabbing a collar. I use my legs to force my dog around and then they look at me, I speak calmly to my pooch (Hi there, remember me? The person holding the leash?) and then we move on. Of course I've only watched the trailer. Everyone calming down can only help things.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page