Dog park training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Dog park training?

Can I train dog aggression out of my 2yr old GSD at the dog park? I’ve tried many methods from ecollar, prong dollar, choker, treats, redirecting to her favorite toy, redirecting to a new toy, and plain positive reinforcement. I’ve been doing this for months and the most progress I’ve made is that she will sit on command if she’s on a short leash and the other dog is a ways away even though she can still see it. It’s not easy to train her not to be dog aggressive in a public place because other people become scared. Is the dog park a good place? She went most of her early puppy life and had no problems off leash. Even when on leash it’s all for show. She’s super friendly and has NEVER been in an altercation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

I think since you previously let her play in the dog park, what you're mainly seeing is frustration. Taking her into the park now is only going to build that. Keep using distance, build that desire to play without the competition of something else like the other dogs. When she sits like you mentioned, keep everything calm, even moving away when you do. No big expectation of anything, reward or correction. Try giving that some time.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

You didn't mention if you have a trainer. If you don't, find one who knows the breed and works successfully with reactively and agression and one who know the difference. And stay out of the dog parks. If you suspect it is all show and hasn't yet had a bad encounter, keep it that way and stay out of that park. You need an environment that will set her up for success not failure. The only way to do that is a well controlled environment with the help of a knowledgeable trainer.

My advice is from experience and not from things I've read, I tried on my own, same as you (excluding the dog park bit). Took over a year with some progress, got fed up with myself and found a trainer. The diy rabbit hole is deep and not fun.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Knighted Member

I would add that you might have better luck if you view training *anything* a bit differently. Training is all about what "to do", not what "not to do"! Trying to teach a dog "not" to do anything is difficult, and often leads to frustration for you and the dog! In fact, I'm not sure how you'd go about achieving that in an all positive way...

Teaching a dog "to do" something though, that's easy, and you can see and celebrate incremental improvement and praise and reward that! Just my 2 cents...for what that's worth

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I would add that you might have better luck if you view training *anything* a bit differently. Training is all about what "to do", not what "not to do"! Trying to teach a dog "not" to do anything is difficult, and often leads to frustration for you and the dog! In fact, I'm not sure how you'd go about achieving that in an all positive way...

Teaching a dog "to do" something though, that's easy, and you can see and celebrate incremental improvement and praise and reward that! Just my 2 cents...for what that's worth
Yup! Just having her sit so she can watch the other dog imho isn't that great an idea, at least at the stage that she's at now, no matter how far away but engaging her and to focus on you is. Focus is actually a fun behavior to teach.

But still find a trainer. It will probably cut the training time she needs greatly by pointing out inadvertent novice mistakes.
readaboutdogs likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

I agree the dog park isn’t the best place and according to a trainer I met yesterday, she sees my dog as going into protection mode for myself the my family. I may end up working with here. She said pet smart is a great place to walk around and leash train your dog if you don’t know someone with a dog that willing to help as a distraction.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Crowned Member

My experience with a dog like yours and "Pet Stores"?????

People inside the store never ask and say "Ohhhh my dog is friendly, she wants to say Hi" .....and then they let their dog make a b-line to yours!!!!!

.....AHHHH.......NO THANK YOU......my dog is NOT friendly!

Possibly working her at a distance OUTSIDE the pet store, watching dogs go in and out would be more constructive for her.

Moms
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Crowned Member

I think thats the wrong trainer for you.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
My experience with a dog like yours and "Pet Stores"?????

People inside the store never ask and say "Ohhhh my dog is friendly, she wants to say Hi" .....and then they let their dog make a b-line to yours!!!!!

.....AHHHH.......NO THANK YOU......my dog is NOT friendly!

Possibly working her at a distance OUTSIDE the pet store, watching dogs go in and out would be more constructive for her.

Moms
Agree! People casually let their dog pull them over, because they figure if you are in a petstore, you must have a friendly easy dog or you are wanting to "socialize". There is also the fun experience of rounding the corner of an aisle, and running smack into another dog nose-to-nose. I found that the easiest places to go were wide-open areas...parks, fields, parking lots, very wide streets, where you can control the distance from the other dog. Pet stores were actually pretty stressful.

(My dog is not aggressive but he used to get frustrated if he wasn't allowed to go greet...to others, it looked like whining, howling, lunging and rearing up. I don't know if your dog is aggressive or not, but if she's not growling, maybe she's not aggressive? The ones that want to kill your dog, seem to usually growl/snarl...)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

Finding a reputable balanced trainer with knowledge and experience that has german shepherds is the best way to go. You can do private sessions and do not have classes. A trainer will help to make sure timing is right and to watch your dogs body language before they react.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page