Training Method - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Training Method

Hello I adopted Sam from the pound last June. Yes, he is perfect! I started letting him off leash, he always checks in with me. One time he was getting a bit too far out and I said "Sam, here!" and used my fist to tap my chest twice. He came running up enthusiastically and sat right in front of me and stared up at me. So cool!! He does it every single time. He has definitely been trained. My question is how..

I'm curious if this is a specific method, and if so does anyone have suggestions on other commands I can try with him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:11 PM
Master Member

Our dog is also a rescue and somebody trained him to “drop it!” ‘Drop it’ is obeyed 100% of the time, first command, no matter what the thing is ( even a cheeseburger remnant)!! I think he had a good owner once...better trainer than me! Maybe not the one who hit / kicked him? Or maybe that was the same person...who knows? Anyway you could see if he has been taught “drop it!”

I never heard of the ‘chest’ command for come, that is interesting. He sounds like a great dog 🙂

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 PM
Master Member

Oh! I just thought of something...formal obedience training, they use “hier!” And “platz!” German words...maybe he knows the commands in German and that’s why he responds so well to “here!” ?(Which is pronounced like the German word “hier” I think)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

Interesting. Does he look working line? Hier and then a straight front seems to be an IPO thing. Not really an AKC thing.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

AKC people don't all say here for recall, some do. I do. But a recall to front is the same in AKC, just a lot of the dogs don't have the speed and enthusiasm that you see in the IPO obedience.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

I didn't say a front wasn't an AKC thing. I said "Hier and then a straight front seems to be an IPO thing. Not really an AKC thing."

meaning that specific condition is more prevalent in IPO than AKC.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if he's working line. I looked online and he looks more like IPO dogs than other. Though he's not super high drive, plays ball enthusiastically and LOVES going for hikes off leash, but he has just enough energy to be perfect for me. He also has an awesome "leave it."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

He does not like to down... or platz... nothing gets it so I stopped asking. I don't necessarily need it. If I really need him to lay down I just sit on the floor with him. He sits reliably, his stay could be better but his wait is good.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsonGold View Post
He does not like to down... or platz... nothing gets it so I stopped asking. I don't necessarily need it. If I really need him to lay down I just sit on the floor with him. He sits reliably, his stay could be better but his wait is good.
Is he food motivated? You could help him down with a piece of food down and back as you say the word.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

He is extremely food motivated, yet polite. He was skin and bones when I got him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page