3Likes
  • 1 Post By HHH
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By HHH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
HHH

Creative solution to a problem

Last week we were in a old abandoned nursing home for search training. Totally dark, and several levels and a lots of rooms to search thru. One person was hidden in a closet, with the door closed. Normally this isn’t a problem for him, he just sit outside the closed door and bark, until I open it. But this room had a ventilation system, so all the scents from the person was apparently at the opposite wall. Ivo (my dog) used a lot of time trying to solve it, but had big problems to sorted it out. He was 100% sure that the person was inside this room, but the scents tricked him away from the closet.
After a while he took a decision, he retrieved a smokedetector he found on a table, put it in front of his paws in the middle of the room, and started to bark. When I entered the room he stop barking and jumped up and down, and tried to tell me he had found someone in this room, «but I’m not quite sure were he is»

I walked in front of the closets, and showed him the direction. Waited for him to take a good sniff at every door, to make his decide were the person was and then he start to bark outside the right one. Of course with a big reward!
I think he had a clever and creative decision, but how should I react to that?
misfits likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:56 PM

I'm no expert.... but really all he could do was follow his nose and then it's up to the handler to "read the dog" and interpret what he's telling you.Outstanding!In my opinion you did just right.
Sabis mom likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
HHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I'm no expert.... but really all he could do was follow his nose and then it's up to the handler to "read the dog" and interpret what he's telling you.Outstanding!In my opinion you did just right.
Thank you. Hopefully you have right. It was easy to read the dog, no problem to «guess» there was someone hiding in the room.
Usually he never barks without having located one hundred percent, and when he failed to do so at this search I became a little confused.
Normally I don’t want him to bark if he just picks up a scents, without locate it properly, = no reward is coming. In this case I felt he tried so hard to do the right thing, so I helped him to find a solution, so he could get his reward.
dogma13 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page