Training Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By Black

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Training Question

I see many posts throughout the forum in regards to training sessions, 1-on-1 sessions, taking my dog my trainer, my trainer says... etc. When referring to these types, is this basic obedience trainers or do IPO trainers offer these kind of sessions?

The reason i ask, is that in my area, I have an IPO club who does monthly sessions out in a field here in town. There is also a "company" for lack of a better term, that offers training i.e. ranges from basic obedience, to 1 hour sessions, 1-on-1 training, and sport training.

Is it common to have an IPO trainer and a separate obedience type trainer? Obviously, it would seem like they could counteract each other from methods to difference of opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Master Member

What can you say about your dog's breeding? Typically, an IPO club only wants to work with dogs that have sufficient drives and nerves to obtain titles and train toward that goal. You would pay club dues as opposed to a commercial trainer's fee. In an IPO club, there will be more focus on teaching you how to train your dog if he has enough drive. If your dog is suitable for IPO, and you don't want to do bite work, you could just train for a BH. You could end up with a dog with a very good obedience foundation and learn a lot more about dog training than with a private trainer because you will see many more dogs, training approaches and problem solving. The quality of the club and its training is also a factor.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

It is not unusual for people who train with a club to also take private lessons, especially in obedience, too. With my old club in MI we often sent people to an AKC obedience trainer to help them get a good foundation on their dogs. With my current club, several of the members also give lessons. Some people stick to just learning at the club, but they usually don't make the progress that those who go elsewhere for private training do.

It can be very hard to learn in a club environment. If the club is large, there is often a time restraint with the experienced people needed on the field for spotting or helping or on the field with their own dogs, and the faster paced situation is not great for a new person to learn in.

The private training, though, HAS to be the right type of training. You don't want to train with someone whose instruction or methods will be counterproductive to what is needed in IPO/SchH/IGP.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Knighted Member

I contacted a local club here, but when I told them I wanted to train for a BH but was not sure I'd go further in IPO, they suggested 1-on-1 training sessions with one of their trainers. It's a small club, and they don't have the resources to work with people who are not really dedicated to titling their dog...which is probably pretty common. But working 1-on-1 with their trainer would at least ensure that the training techniques employed would be consistent, so if you did want to go on in IPO it would be seamless for your dog. I'm not at all sure "most" clubs would offer 1-on-1 training, but I would guess many would, and it certainly couldn't hurt to ask...
car2ner likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
The private training, though, HAS to be the right type of training. You don't want to train with someone whose instruction or methods will be counterproductive to what is needed in IPO/SchH/IGP.
This is my main concern. I want to go to at least IPO1 when i do get my pup, but i've been told that obedience training can be counterproductive to IPO. At the same time, i don't want the pup running wild while at home. I know it's up to me to work with him at home, and i'm doing my due-diligence in trying to learn and understand as much as possible prior to his arrival, but i'm worried that i'm not experienced enough in training.

I want to avoid causing problems at the club and at home.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

First thing would be to find a club and then go from there. They may teach at their club, they may have club members that teach outside of club, or they may have suggestions for places to go.
Black likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

I take private lessons. I used to belong to a club but flying private at the moment. I go to one trainer for obedience and another for protection. I learn so much from both and, most importantly, neither trainer has an overactive ego so we all work together to achieve our goals.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Knighted Member

Borh private and clubs have their advantages. I prefer clubs myself. Once you establish that you're gonna stick around it is usually pretty easy to find someone experienced to work with you in the club. I train at 2 different clubs. And I train at another guys place where he isn't a club. More a private trainer. But I am learning helper work so the private and the one club started off as me learning how to work dogs. Now I just kind of learn what I can off of everyone and try to better my skill set.
I say if you have a good club within 2 hours of you. Then join the club. Do you already have a pup on the way. If not a club would be a good place to start asking about pups.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I say if you have a good club within 2 hours of you. Then join the club. Do you already have a pup on the way. If not a club would be a good place to start asking about pups.

I'm doing research on both clubs. If everything goes accordingly, i should have a puppy in the spring. I'm trying to get ahead of the game. Appreciate everyone's input.
cdwoodcox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page