Training - NEVER hand off your leash ! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Training - NEVER hand off your leash !

I have a 16 week old working line puppy whom I decided to take to 1 on 1 training at the place I take my dogs to the vet. They have a full time trainer on staff who supposedly graduated top of their class at Tom Rose. I went in and explained that I was interested in doing Rally and maybe obedience with him and would like for him to help me work on competition heeling .

My pup is the boldest, most willing little guy... He has great eye contact and flies into a down or sit until releases and just tries so hard to even when he doesn't understand, he will happily start offering behaviors...

After walking in with my pup I realize I had forgotten my treats in the car. The trainer said "I will hold him for you" and I walk all the way back outside and down to my car and then back in which took maybe 7-8 minutes. When I am near the door I hear yelping, I can see in the window that the trainer is walking my puppy and is not just letting him hit the end of the line but giving him very sharp corrections, shart enough to flip the puppy off his feet. I open the door and immediately go over and take the leash, I am so angry I know I best not speak. Look down and realize that this SOB has put a prong collar on my puppy. He has been flipping my puppy around on the prong collar. A puppy that had no idea how to heal. The trainer says "what's up where are you going?" I take off the prong and for just a split second am tempted to throw it at him but somehow manage to keep my cool and lay it down without saying a word. I got home and the pup is just fine but I am not. I just want to explode, I am just so angry at myself. I know better than to hand off my dog and it is not a mistake I will ever make again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

I would have killed someone. You need to make a complaint to the vet. The top trainers in the country do NOT train like that.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would have killed someone. You need to make a complaint to the vet. The top trainers in the country do NOT train like that.
I don't think I could have handled myself as gracefully. Good on you! I 100% agree with Jax -- I would absolutely make a complaint and with vigor. I would have been LIVID to say the least. That's family he's abusing. I get prongs, and I get corrections -- but there is a time, a place and a level of expectation and correction. I would have been quite rude to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Yes, there is a time and a place for a prong but a 16 week old puppy trying to learn is not it. I'm still seething and that prong did come pretty close to becoming a flying object aimed right at his head. I know this guy does a ton of in board training too. I'm trying to figure out the most effective way of making a review that will get noticed by anyone who might want to board and train with him... I can only imagine how he must behave if no one is there to watch him. So sad.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Elite Member

A 4 month old puppy? I don't even want to say what I would have done with that prong. Sorry that happened, yes I would complain too.
Sunsilver likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:03 PM

Unbelievable.I'll help you put that prong where it truly belongs @CometDog
CometDog likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDPERRO View Post
Yes, there is a time and a place for a prong but a 16 week old puppy trying to learn is not it. I'm still seething and that prong did come pretty close to becoming a flying object aimed right at his head. I know this guy does a ton of in board training too. I'm trying to figure out the most effective way of making a review that will get noticed by anyone who might want to board and train with him... I can only imagine how he must behave if no one is there to watch him. So sad.
I cannot say how to best make the review - but I can say that when I read reviews I look for actual experiences vs general chatter. To that end, if I were writing a review I would tell the story exactly as it unfolded, including your emotions and fears.

I agree that if he is that aggressive with a NEW customer and a NEW PUPPY; all while you expected him to simply be keeping the dog while you got treats for POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT -- I would only imagine his technique is even more harsh alone. But that is speculative. He may train exactly the same all the time. Hopefully, he is just learning how to curtail training to meet the needs of the individual dog and with experience will turn into a great trainer. Maybe he just doesn't know better yet. ... ... ... Maybe he needs a prong collar and some very stiff corrections...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I will wait awhile before posting a review to allow my emotions to calm down. I did call to complain and the receptionist asked what I was calling about before they could have a vet return my call. When I briefly explained the girl said "yea, he was not in a good mood when he came in yesterday" I wanted to say maybe he should check his emotions at the door or not train but I found myself too angry again and just bit my tongue.

It feels good to vent to people who understand. Thanks
dogma13 and Sunsilver like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

It's illegal to carry a shovel and rope in your trunk, so I will bring the shovel.
I have had similar experiences over the years and it sucks.
I would copy exactly what you wrote in your post as a review.
Sunsilver, tim_s_adams and Synne like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDPERRO View Post
I will wait awhile before posting a review to allow my emotions to calm down. I did call to complain and the receptionist asked what I was calling about before they could have a vet return my call. When I briefly explained the girl said "yea, he was not in a good mood when he came in yesterday" I wanted to say maybe he should check his emotions at the door or not train but I found myself too angry again and just bit my tongue.

It feels good to vent to people who understand. Thanks
There is zero room for negative emotion in dog training. Thats w known basic. And he put a correction collar on your puppy without permission or your knowledge. Then proceeded to issue UNFAIR and over the top corrections. Your puppy had no idea why he was being corrected, especially that viciously.

He will ruin dogs of all ages that way.

When you speak to the vet, make sure to tell them there will be an online review. And tell them you will be sending them the training bill to fix what that trainer created. That will make them think a little more about those practices.

This person should not be getting paid to train dogs. I know others who went thru that 2 WEEK school and they all train that way thinking they are now experts. Slap a prong on and yank the drive put of the dog. That's exactly how my first shepherd was ruined.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page