Two Toy Retrieve Game (not "two ball, two hose") - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Two Toy Retrieve Game (not "two ball, two hose")

I am seeing people using a two toy game to work on/build retrieve skills for the dumbbell, or so it seems.

The dog seems to be being taught a game, to pick up a soft plush toy while holding another plush toy in his mouth.

He then seems to be being taught to pick up the plush toy reward while holding the dumbbell. Not dropping the dumbbell.

I am assuming this is to strengthen the hold? Add speed?

Just looking to learn about this technique, if you use it or not, how to teach it and apply it? Could not find anything by doing a Google search.

Thanks for your time.

Just to show what I am talking about, imagine the orange toy was the dumbbell and the blue toy the reward. In the game the dumbbell is held properly and the soft toy more towards the front of the mouth. The picture has nothing to do with the training game itself, just some random Google picture.

Last edited by hylia; 11-13-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

That's interesting as my Sting did that without being taught. I used to play a 2 tug game with him and at the end when he "won", he would pick up both tugs in his mouth and bring them to me for his reward treat. In this case where they are deliberately teaching the dog to do it, I think it is because some dogs don't want to pick up the dumbbell and/or the dogs won't hold it properly, so they start with teaching the dog to pick up 2 soft toys then proceed to remove 1 toy and add the dumbbell. I did find this article that discusses using toys but the dog is rewarded when he chooses the dumbbell:
https://wagwalking.com/training/fetch-a-dumbell#

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page