eCollar training question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

eCollar training question

I am new to training with an eCollar but have been using it successfully with Dasha, my 4 year old female. I use it so that she can be off leash during play times without fear of her running off after squirrels/bunnies. It has worked great so far. I also have a 7 month old male. He is very well behaved but his recall isn't the best so I want to use the eCollar with him as well. I have a large yard, surrounded by woods but my yard is not fenced. If the dog goes after a squirrel or rabbit, he can disappear from sight very quickly. Natty (the 7 mo old) is growing more independent so I tried him out with eCollar this past week. He is much more sensitive to it that Dasha, so I dialed it way down. However when I use it with him, he just seems confused. I think it frightens him to some degree and he tends to just run in a circle. This is obviously NOT the desired effect. Do I have it turned up too high or is he just too young to get the concept? When this happened I just stopped using it for fear of doing more harm than good. Are there any suggestions as to how to acclimate the dog to the collar? (BTW, Natty's reaction to a nose halter was similar. He vigorously fights against it and never caught on to the fact that if he walked in position the pressure would stop. I stopped using that too, especially since giving him treats produces a good loose leash walk.)

I know some people are very against this form of training so let me ward off some of the arguments to say that for all of my training, I use positive rewards, even when using the eCollar. I hesitated using an eCollar for a long time but so safety reasons I felt like I needed it to ensure that the dogs didn't run off. I have also used long leashes when they run and find that they are also hazardous. Yes, it would be ideal to have a huge fenced area but that is not feasible at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

Doesn't sound like you taught him how to turn it off. Did you just put it on him and zap him without teaching him what the stim meant?

No, he's not to young. He just doesn't understand. Perhaps you should find trainer to help you.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:39 PM
Master Member

I'm not very experienced. I do live an an area much like you described. I tried the ecollar at 7 months as well. After a few weeks hung it up. Spent the next 1 year plus with a long line and motivational training. I hate the long line so much LOL. Tried the ecollar again with maturity and training the ecollar was much more effective for me. I've hung up the ecollar again because while it fixed a couple things it didn't fix what I wanted. Crittering and recall off other dogs. Going back to the motivational drawing board and trying teaching some more.
I'd stay away from high levels without a qualified trainer. Which I have not been able to find.
Your dog does sound confused. Look up maybe Larry Khron if you want to understand conditioning the dog to the collar. You will know when your dog is well conditioned. Hth some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 PM

I'll dive into this more later, but stop using the e-collar. Without proper understanding, the dog is going to be confused which is a problem. Starting at too high a level is a problem. You not understanding how to be clear and fair with the dog is a problem.

There are many here who can help you train a motivational recall. Hold off on the e-collar for now. Use a long line. It won't kill ya.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

Watch Larry Krohn you tube videos. Get his book from Amazon. He is great at explaining how to use the ecollar. You should have you pup conditioned to it first. Then work the recall on lead.
techinstructor likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips. I will definitely watch the Larry Krohn videos and check out his book. I agree the problem is that the pup isn't conditioned to the stimulus and is therefore confused. I want to found out how to do that and it sounds like Larry Krohn may be that resource. I did stop using the collar when I saw that Natty was confused and will not use it again until I've learned how to condition him properly. Thank you for your help.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

Larry krohn is good I have the book. Since he is confused with the ecollar it is good to find a trainer to show you how to use it it may give you more confidence in using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I just finished watching a couple of Krohn's videos and have ordered his book. I am embarrassed that I didn't seek out this resource before using the collar at all. I haven't been using it correctly with either dog. That will change! I know that I need to do some more work with Natty on recall before I use it at all. With Dasha, I intend to change my strategies. I hope that others will find this thread and seek out his instruction as well. Thank you again for your help.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 PM

A little tip that I use with some clients is to put the collar on them so they can understand what the increase in level feels like, and so they can work on their mechanics before putting the collar on the dog.

You didn't say what type of collar you are using, but it needs to have a very small increase between levels. Cheaper collars have 7-9 levels. These just won't work. You need something with 100+ levels. I use Dogtra 1900 collars.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Master Member

Way too young for ecollar. Hope he can recover when he is older and you try to use it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page