E Collar Methodology/Lou Castle - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 39Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

E Collar Methodology/Lou Castle

Hello everybody. In communications with a trainer and considering E collar training with them but I'm trying to understand it better since this will be first I would be using it. My dog's at probably an 80-90 % recall success rate, with the decrease being around other dogs. My goal is a 100 % off the leash trained dog by a year old.

Searches of the forum constantly mention Lou Castle and his website, however, his website is now down. Is there anywhere this information still exists?

As I understand it, Castle's methodology is giving the dog a very low level shock when giving the command? Some posts mention it is different then Leerburg's methodology which has banned Lou Castle on the forums without kind words. But this board seems overwhelmingly supportive of Lou Castle's methodology.

Appreciate anybody pointing me to some good information so I can help understand the current methodology behind E Collar training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

I wonder if your own website would ban you, once you've run out of forums? Here's some reading that predates that other guy:

Dobbs Training Libraries

Personally, I'd put the collar away for now. Your dogs too young. You can accomplish more then you think without it.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Steve Strom; 09-25-2018 at 05:25 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
But this board seems overwhelmingly supportive of Lou Castle's methodology.
He was banned here, I don't think his methods have really been discussed on this forum since his membership was terminated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I wonder if your own website would ban you, once you've run out of forums? Here's some reading that predates that other guy:

Dobbs Training Libraries

Personally, I'd put the collar away for now. Your dogs too young. You can accomplish more then you think without it.
This is great information, thanks! Mei has responded very well to the E-Collar training. I find myself rarely even using it lately, now that I mention it.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

He was banned because he couldn't play by the rules and not because of how he used the collar. Too bad his site is down. He was who I learned from.

I attended two seminars with Dodds. If that was my only experience with the E-collar I never would have used one.
Jax08, Sabis mom and tim_s_adams like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
He was banned here, I don't think his methods have really been discussed on this forum since his membership was terminated.
That would explain why I couldn't find much recently mentioning him. Everything goes back to like 2016 and earlier.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post

Dobbs Training Libraries

Thank you for the information. I did a small overview and it looks like a GREAT resource so I've bookmarked it and will start reading through. And yea, I'm not rushing into anything. She's doing great, but want to become more educated about it. I definitely teeter back and forth on the topic.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Knighted Member

I don't know Lou Castle, but there are some great threads in the archives which have lots of links to additional information. Here's a couple.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...dominance.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...iscussion.html

You can also pull up his profile and see all the threads he initiated...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

It's all fine and well to knock the man who is not here to defend himself, but considering the amount of work and time he donated to help people I haven't got much bad to say about him. I was a member of his site for a long time, and he was nothing but helpful and responsive. He exchanged dozens of emails with me and we chatted by phone several times while he was attempting to help with Shadow. His method worked beautifully until I screwed it up.
I didn't see anyone else offering to help.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Elite Member

Agree with Steve.
I used (still do for some things) an e collar with my pup at a young age at too high of levels per a professional trainer and it wasn't fair. She was too young to fully understand what I was asking and even if she understood my expectations weren't realistic for a puppy under 1.5. Sending an 8 mo old high drive pup to run with a Mal and expecting her to break for recall was unrealistic. Thank god I have a strong dog and didn't wreck her. I won't give the next one as much freedom and my expectations will be lower until the pup matures to 1.5-2 yo.

I've met Lou Castle, nice guy, talks a lot, I like the way my dog works better. I find his use of an e collar to be fair. He advocates initial learning in conjunction with a leash and low stim.

Last edited by ausdland; 09-25-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page