German Shepherds Forum banner

Nine months old today...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
...and to celebrate this, Griff decided to throw in the towel, starting first thing in the morning by trying to barge out of his crate as soon as I opened it ajar. So I saw this day coming before he was out of his crate even. As I have experienced this with other young males, the testing continues throughout the day with the "Don't take no for an answer" attitude. After closing and bumping his nose three times he finally decided that it was business as usual; waiting until verbally released. Then he took on Deja for the very first time and there was a brief fight that I immediately broke up by putting both of them in a down stay and crated both for an hour. I worked with Deja and she never gave me any trouble, just being her normal sweet, obedient self to me. Griff, however, needed several stern reminders that he was not going to try me out any further. I, of course, rewarded him for good behavior. He is on the NILIF program for now. I work with him and kennel him today but he won't have any freedom until I feel the good vibes.
I can hit myself on the head that I didn't see that fight coming. Looking back there were signs of course; he would eye Deja and bark at her. But I had stopped the barking in the house. Until this morning she always responded with "play", which I sometimes reluctantly allowed. But today she didn't accept it any longer. I learned a lot in a very short time this morning; no more allowing 'eyeing' and breaking up "play" sooner than before. No more play in the house.
So yes, this was quite the 9 month mile stone but I got his number :grin2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I do so feel for you but I couldn't help laughing out loud. I could just picture that determined glint in Griff's eyes as he started off his 9 month milestone I'm going to be the boss attitude right out of the chute (opps, crate)! Good for Deja to put that youngster in his place and then turn around and be so sweet and obedient to you. I do commend you for drawing lessons from today and my mom had the same rule "no play in the house" :)

#3 ·
Yikes, some days are like that. It's easy to forget once they grow past those stages. I'm in the easy side now, and enjoying it. Doesn't 9 months fly by?

#4 ·
ksotto333;9111855 Doesn't 9 months fly by?[/QUOTE said:
Not for me. As a professional dog trainer I loved working with these bratty males but owning one is a different story.
Last night he showed me soft eyes and an open panting mouth, sitting after I stopped walking. This morning, a little better but the testing is still on, although more subtle. The no-play-in-the-house rule works awesome! And...he still enjoys hanging out with me. I hardly like myself right now :grin2:

#5 ·
Update: these two days of not having any freedom worked beautifully. He is calm(er) and has transitioned from 'project' to 'pleasant company'. Ever since he made his entrance in my life as an 10 /11 week old pup he has shown me this pattern in which I had to prove that he wasn't going to boss me around and once I had his cooperation, it never happened again but in new situations he would still try.
And to add a brag, I just had he flu and he was calm and had adjusted great to my activity level. Knock on wood; he is till 9 months old!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.