Working on long downs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kairo's Dad
  • 1 Post By Kairo's Dad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Working on long downs

We've spent the past few weeks working on Kairo's down at a distance. As with any training, it's a work in progress, but he's come a long way in a short amount of time. Here's a short video of our progress so far. And yes, I have to use two balls in our training because Kairo refuses to let go of his ball most of the time.

KaiserAus and saintbob like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kairo DOB: 12/02/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow on Instagram: @just_kairo_gsd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Knighted Member

Great video, looks like he's doing well and enjoying himself in the process!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:34 AM

Thanks for posting the vid, now that's what I wan't to do with saint. Play ball.

...as an aside has there ever been an instance when a GSD swallowed a tennis ball.

the other day Saint was playing with 2 tennis balls in the pond. After observing him furiously chewing on one and noting after awhile that one disappeared; I took away the remaining one fearing he swallowed the missing ball.

Well he's fully functional so I suppose he didn't swallow it.

In the house on on his cable run for whatever reason he doesn't get fixated on the tennis ball and chew it non stop so for now they are still a go.

Any thoughts? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Great video, looks like he's doing well and enjoying himself in the process!
Thanks Tim! Definitely a fun time for Kairo, as he loves to play and learn at the same time. I enjoy it because I love seeing him do what he loves to do the most!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintbob View Post
Thanks for posting the vid, now that's what I wan't to do with saint. Play ball.

...as an aside has there ever been an instance when a GSD swallowed a tennis ball.

the other day Saint was playing with 2 tennis balls in the pond. After observing him furiously chewing on one and noting after awhile that one disappeared; I took away the remaining one fearing he swallowed the missing ball.

Well he's fully functional so I suppose he didn't swallow it.

In the house on on his cable run for whatever reason he doesn't get fixated on the tennis ball and chew it non stop so for now they are still a go.

Any thoughts? thanks
I did away with tennis balls at around 4 months old. Read one too many stories of a tennis ball choking the dog, plus Kairo chewed the felt off one and vomited the remains, the only time Kai has ever vomited. I went to the larger 3 inch rubber Chuckit balls, and Kairo loves them, and I like them because they are larger than a standard tennis ball, so I don't worry about the choking hazard.
saintbob likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page