E Collar Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubyjane77
  • 1 Post By Calipso

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

E Collar Training

Hello! Does anyone have experience/ advice for using an E Collar to train an eight month old GSD? We’re considering working with a trainer who used this method and up until this point we have been using primarily motivation based methods. If he’s trained with an E Collar, will he/we be dependent on it for good behavior? Are there any personality changes associated with using them for sensitive GSDs? This trainer has been doing this for years and has an excellent reputation, so assuming that it will be used correctly and appropriately. We’d appreciate any help you can give us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:05 PM
Elite Member

We started using the e collar when Inga was about that age. Used properly, it is a great tool. She knew and was proofed in 30 commands when two years old, some by distant hand signals. Only when a dog KNOWS the command and decides to blow you off is the lowest possible level of a correction given, one that that works for that dog and situation. Mostly it is a long distance signalling device with the tone and vibration function. Its a great tool in the training tool box.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

I only use an E-collar to teach them not to chase wild life. Never for obedience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Ask the trainer for some references of training dogs with similar temperament to yours and see what the owners have to say. We've used ecollars with two of ours, but wouldn't consider it with our other two which are both handler sensitive. That's just us though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

How is the motivational method working for you so far? What are your long term training goals?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:34 PM

It depends on your Dog’s temperament. I personally believe that if you’re doing well on rewards based, then there is no need for an e-collar. But if they are somewhat stubborn then yes, it does work. But try not to be dependent on those collars to control your dog. If I had to resort to those, I prefer to still give them rewards and praise if they do things right. That way your dog still associates you with the positives and will tend towards you even without the collar.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM

I recently got an e-collar for Gypsy. It's used for dealing with more serious issues like running away, chasing cars, and chasing dangerous wildlife. I don't use it for basic training.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

It really depends on what your goals are and the reason for using the E-collar in pursuit of those goals. I use an e-collar in my training (started using one in 2001), but it has never been my choice for general use. Fine tuning, control work, distance work, but not for basic obedience or teaching in the early stages.

No, if used correctly your dog will not become dependent on the collar. How a dog reacts to the E-collar depends on how it is used and the temperament of the dog. I would want to watch the trainer using the E-collar in training on another dog, preferably one with a similar temperament to your dog and one whose handler has similar goals.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Overall, he's learned quickly, knows commands and is eager to please but we are encountering defiant/ignoring behavior off leash, when any distractions are present, in public, etc. The motivational method works great until he sees something he wants more (a toy, another dog, new person to meet, gets bored, etc.).

We work with him daily but also both work full-time so feel in need of some professional help to train us (as much as/more than the dog) to correct some negative behaviors and get to a place where we can trust him off-leash, know he won't jump on people out of excitement, solidify his long stay, recall, etc. No plans for formal showing but he is so smart and sweet, we want to give him every opportunity to be a great dog and are committed for the long-haul!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

It can be a great tool for recalls and off-leash work. Jumping up on people can be taught using food or toys showing the dog that sit gets us a reward and jumping gets us nothing. I have never liked using the E-collar for the stay (prefer a long line, staying close, and rewarding the correct behavior) and have seen it cause more problems than solve.

Go watch this trainer first. If he does not first introduce the dogs to the collar and teach them how to turn off the stim before using it for training then I would walk away. Then watch the dogs he is working with to see how they respond to training. If used correctly the dogs should be happy and willing in their work.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page