Teaching the Send out - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Teaching the Send out

How do I teach Inga the Send Out? That is- to run out straight ahead of me then down.

How do you teach them not to turn around and face you when they down? Inga will do a remote Down anywhere, off in a field, even so far away its a hand signal, but she wants to face me.

Also, it might be some help that I can send her out on the 'get him' command. But 'Get Him' means run to my husband and play, then return. He can tell her to "get her" also

So I can send Inga to 'get him' then the Wait command and she slams on the brakes, then Down. But she always turns to face me to down. There must be some better way. How do you start from scratch?

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Crowned Member

If she likes toys, you can use that. If she doesn't, you can send her to a mat and reward her for touching that. The toy, I lean a frisbee against a traffic cone and from about 10' facing away, I turn him towards it, point, and when he looks I let him go and I follow and play with him at that spot. You build on that, adding distance, then different directions, then fading out the toy and target. Thats why I use a frisbee most of the time. It lays flat and out of sight easier.

If you want to use the mat, its basically start close and work your way back. The toy may give you an easier path to facing away on the down. You can release from the down to continue on to it.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

This is what it looks like, with toys.

And as it kinda progresses, in an IPO style.

tim_s_adams likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Steve Strom; 07-18-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Crowned Member

I do it slightly different. I use the dogs food (as long as the dog has food drive), a long straight fence and either a back tie or another person to hold for me. I start this with puppies right out of the gate. I back tie the dog, along a long straight fence. I get the dog exited for the food, run down the fence line, set the food on the ground, run back to the dog and release them with the command. Once they get to (close to) the food I give a "release" command and let them eat. The fence keeps them straight, the food and excitement usually get's them to run fast. Then I start to fade out the fence and so forth. For the down, I just train a solid down. I don't require the dog to look at me, however in my experience the dog does as it's acknowledging you (the handler).

T17 Working Dogs-

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, there's different ways. The key though is motivation to go. If nothing we've said is motivation to her, there's a way of using a recall to shape it too.

Doc

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Yeah, there's different ways. The key though is motivation to go. If nothing we've said is motivation to her, there's a way of using a recall to shape it too.
I'm not familiar with this method. How is this done? I must know! Lol. I always figure the more methods of training something that I know, the better chance I have of being able to train it.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Crowned Member

Put them in a down always in the same place, and you go the 40 paces away. Put the food or toy directly behind you, call them and as they get to you, turn and point them to the reward. You keep them in the same place all the time, the food in the same place all the time, and you slowly shorten the distance between you and them.
mycobraracr and tim_s_adams like this.

Doc

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Put them in a down always in the same place, and you go the 40 paces away. Put the food or toy directly behind you, call them and as they get to you, turn and point them to the reward. You keep them in the same place all the time, the food in the same place all the time, and you slowly shorten the distance between you and them.

Makes total sense. Thank you sir!

T17 Working Dogs-

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Makes total sense. Thank you sir!
I should actually credit James Downey for that. I did it that way with my Rott. It wasn't the fastest, but he'd always go.

Doc

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

I guess I've been forgetting to pay attention --- never realized the turn to face you and down on the send out was a problem. Is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page