12Likes
  • 9 Post By wolfy dog
  • 2 Post By Shane'sDad
  • 1 Post By CometDog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

First session in the old style training

Maybe you remember my rodeo session with Griff a few days ago. Well, Mr. has shaped up nicely and it is hard to believe he is just shy of 7 months old.
Today I took him to his breeder's group lesson for the first time; large field with about 20 dogs. Forget about the 6 dog clicker classes I taught. We both were thrown in the deep but.. he already walked beautifully on the prong and was respectful after this week's realization not to mess with me anymore.
A few examples: teams lining up about 12 feet from the others. Griff and I in between a small mutt and a large male Cane Corso that he was a little leery about but minded me nevertheless, forwards, lefts, rights, about turns, stepping away and calling the dog, downs etc. No problem and hardly corrections needed. Just pace and confidence on my part. Teams in a circle with the dog in sit. One by one weaving through the circle. He sat when others passed and heeled when it was our turn. Then having to step up and lie down on a garden swing. He calmly stepped up and downed on command. The second time I could slowly swing it; no issue.
I am actually flabbergasted by my guy's performance. We only did a puppy class and a basic clicker class months ago plus the many hours of interacting with him of course. I think the mellow start has helped and....the rodeo session as well. We would have never been at this level with clicker training. It was almost instant with Griff not being stressed.
Now at home, for the first time, sleeping at my feet and being so mature. But I have to remain alert and not to expect this to be permanent. Cause I know this dog very well already. I think he will be a magnificent dog.
Shane'sDad, Aly, ksotto333 and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 AM

awesome. I think having group classes where our dogs get to experience working in the company of other dogs under control is wonderful. Nice to read how things are going with your youngster.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Master Member

It's a shame these older style of training classes have gone by the wayside in this modern better?? world.....there are folks here who have been successful with the newer methods of training......but for some who have had multiple GSDs eventually one comes along who doesn't respond so well to the "newer" methods.....the owners then end up right here with behavioral issues....it's these dogs IMO that in the end make the BEST dogs if trained correctly.
BTW the class you went to sounds very much like the breeder classes I attended with our first female "Sheba" back in the late '70s.
cliffson1 and wolfy dog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

Forgive me if I have missed something. We have been unusually busy and I have not read everything posted here recently. Why does Griff need a prong? Is he reactive to other dogs? Is he pulling you around to the point you canít handle him? Does he not listen or focus on you? Where is your rodeo thread?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Forgive me if I have missed something. We have been unusually busy and I have not read everything posted here recently. Why does Griff need a prong? Is he reactive to other dogs? Is he pulling you around to the point you canít handle him? Does he not listen or focus on you? Where is your rodeo thread?
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...d.php?t=748037

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Forgive me if I have missed something. We have been unusually busy and I have not read everything posted here recently. Why does Griff need a prong? Is he reactive to other dogs? Is he pulling you around to the point you can’t handle him? Does he not listen or focus on you? Where is your rodeo thread?
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...wn-advice.html

And regarding the prong: https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...prong-use.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 AM
Knighted Member

It's funny, and worth mentioning, that I've never taken a dog or puppy to a class of any kind ever! I have always been around animals of all kinds, however, and have trained horses, dogs, a few parrots, and many rats and cats LOL. And I have worked closely with many dog trainers, of various breeds and with various techniques, over the years.

But after joining this forum and hearing what people have to say, I thought it a good idea to take my puppy to a class, if for nothing else the exposure to working in proximity to other puppies or dogs. That being said, I'm not about to expose my puppy to ANY training I don't agree with. So I called several of the local training facilities, and virtually all of them said that they do not allow observers. So there's no way of telling what, or how, they train before signing up! I opted not to...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 07-16-2018 at 01:17 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
But after joining this forum and hearing what people have to say, I thought it a good idea to take my puppy to a class, if for nothing else the exposure to working in proximity to other puppies or dogs. That being said, I'm not about to expose my puppy to ANY training I don't agree with. .
I do just that for that very same reason. I just would sign up my pup and ask no questions beforehand and do and opt out what I think fits us. I also kept a low profile in the class as most knew that I trained dogs as well. It tended to make some trainers uncomfortable. But I did learn new things from everyone though and I enjoyed attending with my puppy and seeing other breeds and some craziness was good for him/her.
You probably have some idea about which methods your local trainers use. Only one (for me unfamiliar) trainer objected by completely ignoring me, which was just fine. I also skipped the free play sessions and took my pup out for a potty break instead.
As a trainer I wold allow one session to be observed but I would not let people audit the entire class.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

Sounds like he is doing great!! Many happy years ahead <3
wolfy dog likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page