My experiment; early prong use - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 418Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My experiment; early prong use

From the very beginning I knew that Griff would be a tough but awesome one. I allowed him to be a pup first but did teach him respect and impulse control along with the recall and sit only (no stays or waits). And of course play time. Some leash walking on socializing trips and some at home (off and on leash) but pretty informal by using the clicker.
At 5 months old, it was time for more serious leash work. He already didn't pull but I knew what he was up to and I wanted to be just one step ahead of him. So, before he ever tried to pull, I walked him on a prong and used it when needed.
You may think that this was cruel as there wasn't a problem to start with. But....undoing is much harder than preventing. So now at almost 7 months old and in full blown adolescence, I can walk him on any collar and he walks as if he wears the prong. He never knew the alternative.
Will post some amazing progress in the next thread to stay on topic.
tc68, charger, JessicaR and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 PM

Nice. We have to train each dog according to their personality. There is no hard set rule that we have to wait until 6 months old. It is just a good average rule of thumb.
My gal-dog went from harness to prong at 6 months. Now at 2 years old she sometimes pulls but often I can hook the leash to just her martingale and she walks just fine. I may have her wear a prong without hooking it up to the leash. It is there if we get into a situation that requires extra diligence. Then I can swap the leash to include the prong collar. Most days she does fine without connecting to the prong.

What exercises did you do to help teach impulse control and patience?
wolfy dog likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
What exercises did you do to help teach impulse control and patience?
Waiting for food, out the door, car, toys etc. Kinda like NILIF 101. Very simple things actually. If he wanted something , he had to show patience to get it. Waiting to get out of his crate was the biggest challenge until rodeo day came and now he does well.
Aly, car2ner and CometDog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Seeing as you've had past experience with prongs and how your pup may begin acting once adolescence hits, you used your best judgement. Stopping behavior before it begins is going to make Griff so much better, he won't get a chance to be rude. He'll only know his manners. I love it. We practice impulse control and patience A LOT. The worst for us was waiting to be released from the car. He still fights me a bit on that one.
Had I known the prong collar was going to change my confidence and Sitka's in me, I would have began using it earlier. To be honest, they terrified me. I was so afraid it would hurt my dog, and he'd not look at me the same again. I spent weeks watching videos, and reading on how to use them, and fit them. Man, was I right...Sitka looks at me totally different after the prong...He thinks I'm the best person on earth when that prong comes out. He get so excited, he tried to leap (nicely) into it. 😁
tc68 likes this.

Last edited by Jpage24.87; 07-14-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Cant spell, or typo. 😏
post #5 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpage24.87 View Post
Had I known the prong collar was going to change my confidence and Sitka's in me, I would have began using it earlier. To be honest, they terrified me. I was so afraid it would hurt my dog, and he'd not look at me the same again. I spent weeks watching videos, and reading on how to use them, and fit them. Man, was I right...Sitka looks at me totally different after the prong...He thinks I'm the best person on earth when that prong comes out. He get so excited, he tried to leap (nicely) into it. 😁
Good to hear! Yep, same here. As a pet dog trainer I even mentioned on my (past website) that prongs and e collars were not allowed. Until I got my WL guys. They taught me to be open minded.
tc68 likes this.
post #6 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Master Member

Yup Rollo wasn’t as good with Griff but I could tell I was getting lazy and bad habits would really be rehearsed so I started working with a prong on Rollo around 6 or 7 months! I spent time before teaching him about leash pressure so it’s bewn a great and gently tool for us as well

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #7 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Good to hear! Yep, same here. As a pet dog trainer I even mentioned on my (past website) that prongs and e collars were not allowed. Until I got my WL guys. They taught me to be open minded.
Good thing we learned to be more open minded. I bet our dogs are glad for it too. 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck94! View Post
Yup Rollo wasn’t as good with Griff but I could tell I was getting lazy and bad habits would really be rehearsed so I started working with a prong on Rollo around 6 or 7 months! I spent time before teaching him about leash pressure so it’s bewn a great and gently tool for us as well
Sitka was about the same age, 7 months when I convinced myself to try a prong. This was after he dang drug me on my face after a kid on a bike. That was a done deal. We spent a good deal of time on leash pressure, then we went for a walk. I don't think I've ever had to correct him for anytime, pressure is enough to remind him he needs to fall back or pay attention. It's been a real awesome tool.
post #8 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:57 PM
Master Member

Couldn’t agree more!

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #9 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:22 AM
Aly
Master Member

Sitting here, sipping my coffee and reveling in the wisdom of this thread. Here are the highlights for me:

From @car2ner: Nice. We have to train each dog according to their personality.

I just love this! It's the same principle that I was taught from childhood: Deal with the dog in front of you. Convoluted hypotheses about the dog's breed, sex or even history are often unhelpful. What matters is what the dog in front of you is doing and how to best address it with the least effort.

From @wolfy dog: Waiting for food, out the door, car, toys etc. Kinda like NILIF 101. Very simple things actually. If he wanted something , he had to show patience to get it.

Brilliant! I just love this approach: Teaches self-control, in a non-confrontational language that dogs/puppies can easily understand. Bonus is that the reinforcers are built-in and virtually automatic (e.g., show patience and you get dinner).

From @Jpage24.87: Stopping behavior before it begins is going to make Griff so much better, he won't get a chance to be rude. He'll only know his manners. I love it

I love it too; it's the same approach my old trainer taught me. "Make the good things/behavior easy and fun, and the bad things/behavior difficult and unpleasant." Saves time and effort down the road, and you get a joyful partner at the end.

From @Chuck94!: Couldnt agree more!

I couldn't either.

Thanks all, this thread was a lovely way to start my morning.

Aly

Last edited by Aly; 07-15-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #10 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I never need a prong until I got my boy. My sister, who did agility with BC and an Aussie mix, never used prongs and was dead set against them....that was until they day we let her walk our big-boy without the prong. Being the smart GSD that he is, he figured "new walker, no prong. I'm going to let her know I want to walk much faster". My sister's comment, "It's like trying to walk a horse" !
tc68 and Aly like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page