5Likes
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 2 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Chuck94!
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Training Schedule

There may already be a thread that address this, but newby here and I haven't been able to find anything!

I just got my first GSD puppy who is now 14 weeks old. She already has some basic commands down (sit, down, shake, etc) but I want to make sure I tap into her full potential and not let it go to waste. What is a recommended training profession for a pup as they age. I also worry about expecting too much too soon and causing discouragement.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 PM

I'd like to know too. How much do people train their young dogs? Mine is 13 months old, what would be optimum for his learning best?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:07 PM
Knighted Member

If you ask this same question to 10 different people, you'd likely get 10 different responses! There really is no "best" training schedule for puppies. But there are some universal truths when it comes to teaching little puppies, at least from my perspective.

All training should be fun! Keep sessions very short when your puppy is young (3-5 minutes). Never correct a small puppy, if they don't get it right gently help them, or rethink your approach! The goal of training is to communicate and build your puppy's confidence! They need to be able to trust you and for that you have to be consistent and kind to them. With real young puppies distractions are HUGE, so it's best not to try training anywhere they are likely to be distracted by anything (though sometimes I felt like mine must have sensed a butterfly flapping its wings in Hawaii LOL)!

If this is your first puppy, or first GSD, training classes are a good idea. It gets your puppy used to being around other puppies and people, while still paying attention to you, which is a HUGE plus.

For good ideas on things to teach your puppy see this thread:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ng-sticky.html
car2ner likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Knighted Member

To answer your question more directly, @PghLoveGSD, you always have to start where your dog is now. If the dog has been with you for a long while, meaning not a recent rescue or purchase, then I would spend time every day working on something. But what that something would be depends both on your dogs current training and on your ultimate goal for the dog. Has your dog had any formal training? Are you interested in titling the dog or competing at all, or just good solid basic obedience?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:22 PM

@tim_s_adams I've had him since he was 14 weeks old. I just want him to be an obedient dog with manners, he's very smart and picks up things very quickly. He gets play/training time each morning for at least an hour, usually longer, and something smaller at night. I'm just wondering how much time people spend each day when they're training their dogs. How many sessions, how long each session. In the mornings I throw the ball to him but during that play we're working on wait, leave it, back, place, etc. Do most people do that, or is that just supposed to be chase the ball time, separate from working on wait etc.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Knighted Member

Life is a training ground! I work my dog daily on all of the things you mentioned, in all sorts of places. Though the time varies day to day, typically we work for about 15-20 minutes each time, and usually twice every day. But, training, or honing of an existing skill, is always done separate from playing for me. I like to separate work and play clearly, so the dog knows clearly when it's time to give its full attention, and when she can just have fun!

That being said, whenever I play fetch with her, occasionally I'll have her back up, then sit, then catch the ball instead of running after it. It's part of the game, but it's reinforcing the commands needed for the game...almost like upping the complexity of the game itself over time If that makes sense. And again, no rigid training, just fun! I hope that helps a little, it's likely different for all of us to some degree. Sounds to me like your dog gets plenty of training time each day...maybe other will chime in, I know we're all different due to life, but the main thing to me is "some" work on something daily...my dog loves that, she looks forward to it, and you can easily see the excitement when she thinks it's "time" finally LOL!

Tim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:14 AM

if you have Instagram, Canine.Karma.Training has been working with a young Malinios. You can see some of the short times and places he uses as training opportunities. It is nice when trainers share these little videos with us. I find that many trainers are very generous with their knowledge considering it is what they do to earn money to pay their bills.
tim_s_adams and Chuck94! like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:11 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
if you have Instagram, Canine.Karma.Training has been working with a young Malinios. You can see some of the short times and places he uses as training opportunities. It is nice when trainers share these little videos with us. I find that many trainers are very generous with their knowledge considering it is what they do to earn money to pay their bills.
Lol I enjoy his Instagram rants too!
car2ner likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck94! View Post
Lol I enjoy his Instagram rants too!

Oh yes, I do too.

Chuck94! likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page