So... what's next? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Smile So... what's next?

HI y'all,
I've been wanting to do something more with Gandalf lately competitive wise. We just finished a fun scent class and he enjoyed it, but was honestly too easy as most of it was indoors. As soon as we went to the outdoor dog section (lots of poop and pee out there) to track he lost focus and started marking. Couldn't blame the guy, he was off leash and there was dog pee everywhere. Indoors our trainer said he had very great focus and determination, he plowed through obstacles and succeeded in high and low searches. I'm just not sure if this is right for us. Not sure if the area was to blame... I feel after some work I could train him to not mark off leash while tracking but it's not something I've really been interested in. I looked into agility near us, but the only serious club I know of practices only at times I have work. I know a good IPO group, but I don't want to do bitework with Gandalf. Gandalf has shown great interest in agility, obedience, tricks, and nosework and I want to earn some titles with him. He already earned his CGC easy no problem. The only trouble I'm having is that he is fearless, smart, and very obedient so I'm not sure what we should specialize in, he loves doing everything! Not sure if he would be show quality since he's a long coat white shepherd lol. Anyone have some suggestions for us?
Thanks!

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

I seriously enjoy both tracking and detection work. Loved doing searches. All of my shepherds have enjoyed anything that used their noses.
The only one I have seen any natural herding ability, like untaught, in was Sabs. She liked to round up everything. It was fun just for kicks to have her bring in the chickens or the kids.
If it was me I would look for anything to do with his nose.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I seriously enjoy both tracking and detection work. Loved doing searches. All of my shepherds have enjoyed anything that used their noses.
The only one I have seen any natural herding ability, like untaught, in was Sabs. She liked to round up everything. It was fun just for kicks to have her bring in the chickens or the kids.
If it was me I would look for anything to do with his nose.
Is it true if they mark mid search they will be disqualified ? I've never tried herding with Gandalf, but he does herd the cat sometimes... she's old and wanders out the door if someone leaves it open and he leads her back inside lol How do official tracking competitions work?

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

You can do BH and tracking in IPO without doing bitework. I am doing both beginning scentwork and BH with mine. Although he wants to play with the boxes. Sitting next to a scent is very boring for him.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Crowned Member

AKC Tracking will not disqualify a dog only for marking on the track. I was worried mine might but I have discouraged it and the more "into" the track he is the less I think he will do it because in his head he is working and he is not scouting for something to mark. He has done it rarely in training but not in either test he has done.

We also really love dock diving and rally. First dock practice of the season for us this coming weekend! Not the club's first but we couldn't go last time
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

Marking is a training issue. They lift their leg, you correct them. It's that simple. No, you don't pee while we are training and you really better not when we are trailing.

You don't let them do it in your house. This is no different.
Slamdunc and GypsyGhost like this.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Marking is a training issue. They lift their leg, you correct them. It's that simple. No, you don't pee while we are training and you really better not when we are trailing.

You don't let them do it in your house. This is no different.
Yep thought I made that clear in my post. It's something I haven't bothered working on since it never bothered me. I was simply asking if it was allowed in a trial.

SQUIRREL!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
AKC Tracking will not disqualify a dog only for marking on the track. I was worried mine might but I have discouraged it and the more "into" the track he is the less I think he will do it because in his head he is working and he is not scouting for something to mark. He has done it rarely in training but not in either test he has done.

We also really love dock diving and rally. First dock practice of the season for us this coming weekend! Not the club's first but we couldn't go last time
Dock diving looks really fun!!! Is it dangerous though? I've watched the trials on TV and I'm always worried the dogs are going to lose their footing running and jumping off the deck.

SQUIRREL!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Elite Member

If he loves obedience and you have a good IPO club, I would definitely check it out. Honestly, with his bright eyes and gorgeous coat, he will look stunning on that field. :-)

AKC also has obedience trials, UD and UDX.

I'm a little surprised that the outside area for the NW class was off leash. For the outside searches (exterior and vehicles)The NW1 trial as well as the number of mock trials that we have entered and the NW2 & 3 trials that I volunteered for were on leash only. Even on leash, my boy has tried to mark. For the most part he now understands it's not allowed. Instructors should be able to help Gandolph with this.

Along with the other suggestions, Rally may be worth looking into also and lure coursing if that's available.

It took us a while to find what we both were suited for and liked the most. I was hoping for agilities but the only reason he kind of liked it was because he got to run through a tunnel. Lol.

Wish you both lots of fun while on this quest.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 05-16-2018 at 03:53 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Yep thought I made that clear in my post. It's something I haven't bothered working on since it never bothered me. I was simply asking if it was allowed in a trial. Thanks though for your stellar advice, you know I always appreciate it!
Apparently it was not clear that the issue was just your lack of interest in stopping the marking. I thought you actually wanted input on how to stop it rather than could you just get away with it.

Will you get disqualified? It depends on the event.
Will you lose a ton of points? Yes.
Will all the other competitors hate you for not caring that your dog just peed on the field and it will most likely affect their performance that they have worked so hard for? Absolutely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page