Is your dog allowed to mark on walks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is your dog allowed to mark on walks?

I've noticed as my boy is getting older he is more interested in marking on walks. When we are in public or pavement he will not mark but if he passes by a tree or bush he becomes interested. All of the males i've ever owned were neutered early, this is my first that will be left intact. Up until now i've let him stop and sniff and mark when he wants to, because walks are his time and i'm not in a hurry. I walk him to exercise his body and brain and it seems like smelling and marking is part of that? He has never tried to mark indoors, or pet smart or any of those places but he does seem to be getting obsessive outdoors for example we went to his nose class last night and before class started the dogs in the class were outside playing together. He completely ignored the other dogs trying to play with him and just went off on his own to mark the entire time. A border collie was stalking him and play bowing like crazy but he wanted nothing to do with the dog. Which I am fine with, if he doesn't want to be social that is okay. Not like he was being aggressive or anything. I'm worried about this translating into indoors since he is so obsessed, I used to work for the SPCA and a vet so I was always told neuter young so they don't mark indoors! How much of that is even true? Is this even something I should be concerned about lol? To let him mark on walks or not?

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

Never
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Never
How come?

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

I mean they are not allowed to mark when ON leash. Off leash is OK. By the time Griff is ready for this he will have learned "Leave It!" if he attempts to mark something that is off limits, even off leash
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:41 PM

On leash - No. I release them to "potty" a few times throughout the walk. It's a structured training walk, so they have different expectations.

When they are off leash, that is they're time to be dogs. Sniff, pee, run, play with sticks etc. The rules are no running off, come when you're called, down at a distance when you're told (we practice this often), no unwarranted aggression and no chasing wildlife (My dogs don't really acknowledge wildlife at all).

I have 4 intact males - none mark indoors. Marking is a training issue
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I mean they are not allowed to mark when ON leash. Off leash is OK. By the time Griff is ready for this he will have learned "Leave It!" if he attempts to mark something that is off limits, even off leash
How come you don't let him mark say a tree or grass on leash? Sorry I'm especially curious since I know you prefer to keep dogs intact and have a lot of experience with intact dogs, does it lead to behavioral problems down the road? My neutered dogs never learned the behavior so I'm unsure of how to deal with it. Is it a personal preference kind of thing? I decided to keep Gandalf in tact for now because of the hormonal risks of neutering young and cancer..I could see it being annoying if youre in a hurry but for my dog I alott 2 on leash walks per day an hour each and I'm not in a hurry so I figure if that's what he wants to do with his time.... I haven't seen behavioral issues (yet?) he gets his off leash time of course and enjoys marking then too..

SQUIRREL!
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronhideKennels View Post
On leash - No. I release them to "potty" a few times throughout the walk. It's a structured training walk, so they have different expectations.

When they are off leash, that is they're time to be dogs. Sniff, pee, run, play with sticks etc. The rules are no running off, come when you're called, down at a distance when you're told (we practice this often), no unwarranted aggression and no chasing wildlife (My dogs don't really acknowledge wildlife at all).

So all of your on leash walks are training? Never just for fun?

SQUIRREL!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Elite Member

I have no problems with my boy marking on a walk as long as it isn't every tree or inappropriate. An occasional marking is natural imho, and as long as our walk isn't being interrupted by constant stops, I recognize it is his walk too. He is allowed to urinate while trailing as well, but again, not constant stops. One or two is expected and as long as he stays focused on his subject and finishes the trail well I'm not worried. My girl marks as well and both are very well trained
Zero marking in the house or in stores etc..
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronhideKennels View Post

Why is marking a training issue? He doesn't do it indoors, in stores, on sidewalk, etc. just on trees and grass. What's the problem with it? This is what I'm confused about lol

SQUIRREL!
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
I have no problems with my boy marking on a walk as long as it isn't every tree or inappropriate. An occasional marking is natural imho, and as long as our walk isn't being interrupted by constant stops, I recognize it is his walk too. He is allowed to urinate while trailing as well, but again, not constant stops. One or two is expected and as long as he stays focused on his subject and finishes the trail well I'm not worried. My girl marks as well and both are very well trained
Zero marking in the house or in stores etc..
And your boy is intact too? Wow you just blew my mind, never had a girl dog I thought that was just male behavior!

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page