Barking, Growling, and Staring,..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Barking, Growling, and Staring,.....

I often associate these behaviors with drives and communication, are they useful tools in training or work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

Does it matter at what? Like, appropriately (as in an approaching threat), or inappropriately (as in someone merely walking on the other side of the street)? I don't know the answer, just an interesting topic to me and what my dog does..so I will be following.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

I think it depends whether the dog is socialized, trained and of stable temperament. If it involves other breeds it may be the wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I often associate these behaviors with drives and communication, are they useful tools in training or work?
I'd look at them as useful, if nothing else it shows you that you have something to work with. Attentive,alert, determined, a little possessive and showing that little bit of fight with the growling maybe. Combined with overall confidence, you'd be in good shape to get started with some things.
cliffson1 and Jax08 like this.

Doc

Last edited by Steve Strom; 03-27-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I think they could be.What a great question!I can usually understand what my dogs are feeling by the tone of their barks,growls,and posture.Excitement,agitation,or 'that looks interesting'.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I believe these communication behaviors are very important, especially when establishing engagement with a dog. How can you teach a behavior without the dog's attention? When shaping engagement behaviors or gauging a dog's natural handler attentiveness I look for pushy behavior(barking, jumping, eye contact), with my current dogs, when they're really into the game we're playing they will growl. I'm still new to GSDs, but these are behaviors I like to see.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

Griff at thirteen weeks growls when eating chicken backs. It startled me the first time but it was not directed towards me or Deja. He is consistent in this. Today he started digging in a shallow creek, pulling out clumps of reeds, sticking his snout in the water etc. and growled as well. For me this means excitement. He is my first dog ever to do this. It is very amuzing.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Griff at thirteen weeks growls when eating chicken backs. It startled me the first time but it was not directed towards me or Deja. He is consistent in this. Today he started digging in a shallow creek, pulling out clumps of reeds, sticking his snout in the water etc. and growled as well. For me this means excitement. He is my first dog ever to do this. It is very amuzing.
I've heard this too. Excitement, intensity, and at times I really really want whatever it is they're after. It’s all communication

Last edited by Nigel; 03-28-2018 at 06:32 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I personally like to see a strong authoritative bark in my dogs. Though the bark may vary according to what prompts the barking, I think strong barking is part of the breed when balanced in drives. I like growling as a way of communication when the dog alerts to something unknown especially at night, and when the dog is sometimes in active aggression. I like staring and intensity of staring as long as the dog won’t lock into this behavior so as to not be responsive to me in training.
Heartandsoul likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Useful both in training and home life.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page