Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Learned helplessness....yup...seen it.
wolfy dog likes this.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Elite Member

Not just dogs, as the article says - I posted a picture of a sturdy little pony pulling two lawnmowers yesterday, and someone complained that they shouldn't make the pony work so hard! Um, isn't that what they are BRED to do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Most blatant example of dumbed down helplessness via human intervention is when I see a human pick up their ldog for no other reason than to get from here to there faster. i.e., snowbank at the edge of the park is a little bit high. The dog gets the lift up instead of the time and encouragement to allow him to figure it out and do it on his own. Or picked up while on a walk because human has no confidence that the dog has enough wits to keep himself clear from being stepped on.

The article talks about when dogs were free to roam. One of the most viscous examples of two dogs working out an issue came from our first dog. He was free roaming and lived pre-leash law. He and a few dogs would roam together from time to time. One of those dogs came in the yard and aggressively went at my son causing a dog fight between Tucker and that dog. Other than dh running out to break up the fight, No other human intervention occurred. We didn't contact the owner, the owner didn't contact us. Everyday after that the dog would cross the street if he had to pass our house. Tucker would just calmly watch him until he passed. They seemed to have come to a mutual understanding.

He also learned great recall through his own choice. We were camping. Again, no leash. He was hanging out at the edge of camp. Time to leave and when we called, he just looked at us. We packed the kids in the car and started to drive off. He decided to come running. (No we would never have left him.)

I would hate to face the first incident in this day and age: can imagine Headlines: dog attacked child, Tucker named hero. Neighbor counter sues for vet bills. AC takes and quarantines both dogs. Dogs returned with a muzzle order. Child needs psychological help to get over the trauma witnessed. And on and on and on. The truth of it is that both dogs were decent dogs and behaved just fine afterwards.
Muskeg, dogma13, Sabis mom and 4 others like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

I agree with the majority of what was said in the article. My one nit would be it is a bit too cavalier on some topics that fall under responsible ownership, not babying and personifying. For instance when dogs die in hot cars. No I am not the type to break a car window without looking into things or making a phone call first, but ..you know, dog owners should know the basics. Hot car ok with proper ventilation (not just cracked windows). Don't give them bakers chocolate, stuff like that. We beat people up here when they are letting dogs off lead prematurely and we would absolutely judge someone who let their dog bite a child or let their dog get hit by a car.

We had a house in farmland in Lancaster when I was little. Yeah our dogs ran free and sometimes got the neighbors chickens, and we had to pay for them and they tore up a little boy's bunny in front of him once. That was NOT ok. My dad should have done better to contain them. Destroying people's property should never be viewed as a "hey it's dog what can you do" attitude.

Granted it has gone way too far which I think is what the article means.. which I agree with. It just poo poos some basic dog owner responsibilities though. Maybe that was not the intention but it came out that way.

I'd say I agree with 99% of the article, but I am not "that" Darwinian with my dog. I mean hey I like him and he cost a lot too. Though he is insured lol Still don't want him to get "runned over" in the road.

Conversely I was talking to someone about home defense. Said my dog would be a great help if someone broke in..perimeter alarm, and buying me time by possibly engaging while I got ready to defend the family. A lady said but how do you shoot the bad guy but not your dog if they are tussling? I said shoot throughs count. She was horrified. I was horrified at how impractical she could be. It was a proposed scenario where kids are locked in bedroom while you deal with an intruder. Sorry buddy, I love you but we have to protect the kids. If a dog is programmed to lay his life down for you...let him. If he could talk Im sure he would rather die a hero than have his life spared if it meant harm would come to his people.
Sabis mom and car2ner like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

When a dogs only job is to earn ribbons, the breed suffers also.
Aly and CometDog like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 PM
Knighted Member

Same with children. Ever seen a kid with over protective parents. The kids grow up and have no idea how to handle life.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Same with children. Ever seen a kid with over protective parents. The kids grow up and have no idea how to handle life.
It is mind numbing. I have been interviewing college aged kids lately. Oy. OOOOY.
Aly, Heartandsoul, Muskeg and 2 others like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:42 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
When a dogs only job is to earn ribbons, the breed suffers also.
Exactly. I don't follow any of that stuff, but I feel that line breeding from way back is one of the major problems with the breed (or any) today

I know the border collie people fight tooth and nail with the AKC to not make a border collie standard because it'll ruin the breed. It's a working dog, not a ribbon winning dog. (At least this is what I've heard)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 AM
Master Member

So many typos it's as if I wrote it LOL.
I think it boils down to what people consider responsible ownership. I take my dogs well being almost as serious as my children.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page