SEVERE separation anxiety in puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy SEVERE separation anxiety in puppy

Hi! My 3 month old puppy has been having some severe separation anxiety issues. From the time we got him at 8 weeks old, we have not been able to be out of his sight for one second without him going to the bathroom all over himself. It doesn't matter if we are gone for 2 minutes or 1 hour, he covers himself in his own poop. He is doing great with potty training otherwise. Let's us know when he needs let out during the day, throughout the night, etc. It is ONLY when we are away from him for any period of time. For example, he was in the crate for 7 minutes while I showered in the room across the hall and when I came back, he had poop all over his beautiful white fur, in his nose, on his lips, and covering every single bar of the crate.

We have tried EVERYTHING: a crate small enough where he can only turn around and lay down, plenty of toys and treats, covered the crate with a blanket, put a tshirt with our scent in the crate, left on calming music, exercised out all of his puppy energy, natural remedies such as Rescue Remedy, short periods of leaving and returning to let him know we will always come back. NOTHING works. The smaller crate leads to him being more covered in his own pee and poop, along with his toys and treats, any blankets, etc. What's even worse is that it doesn't matter if he has just gone to the bathroom outside, he will still go in the crate when left alone. One day, he went in his crate and within 15 minutes of being alone, a ton of poop was everywhere. We bathed him, cleaned his crate thoroughly, and put him back in it and within another 10 minutes he went AGAIN??

Like I said, he's a fantastic puppy. He is so smart and well-behaved in every other way. However, when we leave, he goes into full panic mode. It sounds like a panic attack and is truly heartbreaking.

PLEASE help with any suggestions you may have.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltimebrianna View Post
Hi! My 3 month old puppy has been having some severe separation anxiety issues. From the time we got him at 8 weeks old, we have not been able to be out of his sight for one second without him going to the bathroom all over himself. It doesn't matter if we are gone for 2 minutes or 1 hour, he covers himself in his own poop. He is doing great with potty training otherwise. Let's us know when he needs let out during the day, throughout the night, etc. It is ONLY when we are away from him for any period of time. For example, he was in the crate for 7 minutes while I showered in the room across the hall and when I came back, he had poop all over his beautiful white fur, in his nose, on his lips, and covering every single bar of the crate.

We have tried EVERYTHING: a crate small enough where he can only turn around and lay down, plenty of toys and treats, covered the crate with a blanket, put a tshirt with our scent in the crate, left on calming music, exercised out all of his puppy energy, natural remedies such as Rescue Remedy, short periods of leaving and returning to let him know we will always come back. NOTHING works. The smaller crate leads to him being more covered in his own pee and poop, along with his toys and treats, any blankets, etc. What's even worse is that it doesn't matter if he has just gone to the bathroom outside, he will still go in the crate when left alone. One day, he went in his crate and within 15 minutes of being alone, a ton of poop was everywhere. We bathed him, cleaned his crate thoroughly, and put him back in it and within another 10 minutes he went AGAIN??

Like I said, he's a fantastic puppy. He is so smart and well-behaved in every other way. However, when we leave, he goes into full panic mode. It sounds like a panic attack and is truly heartbreaking.

Thank you!

You need to consult a behaviorist. They should be able to help you figure out what will help your puppy cope and also work with you and your Vet to decide if medication may be beneficial. You need to have him evaluated by an experienced professional. Have you spoken to your puppy's breeder? SA can be a genetic issue and the breeder should be made aware of it.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltimebrianna View Post

Thank you!
We had a puppy that was pretty similar. He was really good at potty training, would be great inside of his crate while we were inside, but the moment we went outside of his vision he would go to the bathroom and get it all over himself, the crate, and anything else that was in there. I'm not sure if this is the correct option, but I would leave him in his crate and go out for 15 seconds but keep treats on hand. When I came back in I'd praise him and provide him with treats (provided he didn't pee/poop in his crate). It took several days before he made it to a minute, but he got better and better.

He's about 7 months now and we're able to leave him in his crate for an extended period of time without him using the bathroom (6 hours for work or so). I didn't think it was going to end, but he really pulled through!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page