Purely Positive Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Purely Positive Training

I had a neighbor suggest this book: Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth. He swore by the book as the only thing he referred to when training his last 3 GSD's. Does anyone else have any opinions on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

I wonder if his GSDs were the intense working lines? Purely Positive is not a good description as there is always something negative for a dog, no matter how you train. I guess it means training without physical corrections. Probably meaning 'Operant Conditioning'.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM

I saw that book was recommended on here, I believe by Steve? cant remember, so I ordered it and her other book Schutzhund Obedience Training in Drive. It is supposed to be delivered Friday, I cant wait to read them!

Anyways... I love reading books so I figure I would give it a go since my working lone girl is a bit softer in temperament.

I also have Dog Sports Skills books 1-3 by Denise Fenzi, I still need to order book 4. Not exactly a training book but lots of good info in them.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I saw that book was recommended on here, I believe by Steve? cant remember, so I ordered it and her other book Schutzhund Obedience Training in Drive. It is supposed to be delivered Friday, I cant wait to read them!
I do believe that Steve puts a prong collar on his puppies at a very early age.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

There is no such thing as purely positive, since the act of with holding a reward is punishment. Plus one would have to restrain themselves from EVER saying no.
Consider also that no treat or praise will ever outweigh the pure joy of chasing a bunny for some dogs.
To my mind the only training that truly creates a well behaved, well rounded dog who WILL work to please you is balanced.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

So you can take valuable information from all sources. 99% of my puppy foundation is positive reward and games. Clicker training, shaping, luring. Read the book. Take what you find valuable. All training does not work for all dogs.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

That is actually a good book and worth reading.

I tend to use all four quadrants of operant conditioning, but there is at least one very successful IPO person who uses only two quadrants (no physical corrections) and many AKC obedience people.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
All training does not work for all dogs.
Isn't that the truth. My last GSD was the opposite of the one I had before her. She made me want to rip my hair out sometimes but when I found what worked for her, we just clicked and it was so rewarding.
Jax08 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I also have Dog Sports Skills books 1-3 by Denise Fenzi, I still need to order book 4. Not exactly a training book but lots of good info in them.
I have them too, although I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. There's a picture of Halo in one of them, I think it's #3. She's running for her tug at a flyball tournament looking all Jaws, lol. Unfortunately, she's mistakenly referred to as "he" instead of "she".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
That is actually a good book and worth reading.
I agree. I read it some time ago but remember that it was very good.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I wonder if his GSDs were the intense working lines? Purely Positive is not a good description as there is always something negative for a dog, no matter how you train. I guess it means training without physical corrections. Probably meaning 'Operant Conditioning'.
Have you read the book?
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page