German Shepherds Forum banner

Purely Positive Training

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Mareesey 
#1 ·
I had a neighbor suggest this book: Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth. He swore by the book as the only thing he referred to when training his last 3 GSD's. Does anyone else have any opinions on it?

#2 ·
I wonder if his GSDs were the intense working lines? Purely Positive is not a good description as there is always something negative for a dog, no matter how you train. I guess it means training without physical corrections. Probably meaning 'Operant Conditioning'.

#3 ·
I saw that book was recommended on here, I believe by Steve? cant remember, so I ordered it and her other book Schutzhund Obedience Training in Drive. It is supposed to be delivered Friday, I cant wait to read them!

Anyways... I love reading books so I figure I would give it a go since my working lone girl is a bit softer in temperament.

I also have Dog Sports Skills books 1-3 by Denise Fenzi, I still need to order book 4. Not exactly a training book but lots of good info in them.

#5 ·
There is no such thing as purely positive, since the act of with holding a reward is punishment. Plus one would have to restrain themselves from EVER saying no.
Consider also that no treat or praise will ever outweigh the pure joy of chasing a bunny for some dogs.
To my mind the only training that truly creates a well behaved, well rounded dog who WILL work to please you is balanced.

#7 ·
That is actually a good book and worth reading.

I tend to use all four quadrants of operant conditioning, but there is at least one very successful IPO person who uses only two quadrants (no physical corrections) and many AKC obedience people.

#15 ·
Purely Positive training by Sheila Booth is one of the best books on dog training that I have ever read. it is my all time favorite book. I read it back in the 90's and I just ordered another copy. I loaned my original copy to a friend and never got it back. I am re reading it now. Excellent book and well worth the time reading for companion, sport or LE dogs.

The book will give you an excellent place to start and build a positive, motivational foundation. I do use many of the techniques in the book, but I also use a prong collar and or an E collar for some training. I expect a high level of precision and a happy working dog. You can use a prong as a fitness tool to gain some precision and maintain drive, focus and a happy motivated correct dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.