4Likes
  • 1 Post By cdwoodcox
  • 2 Post By SuperG
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Ending the Game?

My dog is very ball driven as are many of yours It is a useful training tool for sure!

We play 2 ball. No problem outing, doing focus work etc. BUT when the time comes to END the game, sometimes, there is conflict.

I like to be clear in letting him know "all done", NO trickery. Wanting to build trust etc.

I'd like to hear how you end your game. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Knighted Member

I play 2 ball with a chuck it. Usually on our last toss I'll throw it as far as possible and when he starts walking back I head to the house. He just follows. The first couple times I did run as he turned to head back. He was like what's going on and caught up and didn't protest.
gsdluvr likes this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
I like to be clear in letting him know "all done", NO trickery. Wanting to build trust etc.

I'd like to hear how you end your game. TIA!
I think you are on the right track.....a clear beginning and ending...

I started small with expectations ....commensurate with the dog's likelihood for success......but still an abrupt and mostly predictable ending... the dog still showed some reluctance......but complied.

I slowly upped the ante...altering the definitive ending of the session by adding new trained behaviors.... ...like carrying the ball to the backdoor of the house and dropping it...which really punctuated " session over". I'd usually reward with praise and a food scrap once inside the house. I think the process has taught the dog that after a series of events...which includes the clear ending of the game...it all leads to pretty reasonable positive event.

I think the breed is too smart for "trickery" ....so when you say it's over....that's what happens

SuperG
gsdluvr and car2ner like this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 AM

My boy didn't want to end Frisbee games. When he realized we were about to end a game (sometimes before we realized it ourselves) he would take off with the disc and go to a far side of the yard. At that point we go into the house leaving him outside with the toy. He didn't really want the toy for himself, he wanted to continue the game. If you dog is more toy possessive this won't work. A couple of minutes later we would find him at the door with the toy, invite him in and give him a nice treat. I also had a season of only playing Frisbee with him on a long line so he couldn't run off with the toy. That was a pain for both of us since long lines have a way of wrapping around legs.

For our Big-boy we say "all done". I suspect he understands that but still petitions to continue playing.."gee mom, just one more time". For my gal-dog I say "toys away". At that she starts anticipating a nice treat or a change of toys.
gsdluvr likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I think my problem is that sometimes, the food (favorite treat) does not appease him and we are somewhere where we have to go. I'm a little leary of letting him go back to his crate with it because I don't want to create dominance over it.

I think he his more into playing with me than the ball itself, but no sense in maybe starting something? IDK?

Last edited by gsdluvr; 02-18-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page