Need some help potty training! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By sebrench
  • 1 Post By Coleen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Need some help potty training!

Hello everyone!

So I have two shepherds, a 17 month old and a 3 month old. When I got my first shepherd, he was use to pooping and peeing in his crate but a divider taught him better. A week with the divider in the crate taught him to potty outside and he never did it again.

So now I got my second shepherd (3 months old) and she is doing the same thing except she isnít learning! She poops and piss in her crate all the time, even with a divider. I gave her enough space to sit, stand, lie down, and turn around but she still using the crate to potty. Then sheíll sit in her poop or piss and Iíll have to clean her...

I take her out a lot to get exercise, she is currently eating Kirkland puppy food (from Costco) in the morning and raw at night. I donít know if she isnít learning it or she canít hold it. Pretty much, Iíll let her and sheíll potty. Then I put her back in the crate and 2 minutes later sheíll potty again in the crate.

Any suggestions what I can do? Is it maybe sheís just too young still to hold it? I believe when I got my first shepherd he was 4 months old but he was holding everything for a few hours once he learned.

Oh and by the way, at night when she does potty in her crate and sheís lying down in it, she doesnít bark or cry? My first shepherd would bark and cry when he had accidents in the crate. So not sure if Iím just use to my first shepherd being clean or?? I donít know lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 AM
Elite Member

How long at a time does she stay in the crate? I would have the vet check her for a UTI just in case there is a medical reason for her frequent urination. Some dogs and puppies don't empty their bladders entirely the first time they go. Levi as a puppy, and even now, pees several times around the yard rather than all at once. If your girl's health checks out ok, and she pees immediately after being put back in the crate, wait outside a little longer and see if she'll pee a second or even third time before bringing her back in. I'd also clean the crate out really well with an enzymatic clear to make sure it doesn't smell like urine. If she is pottying in her crate at night, you'll probably have to get up in the middle of the night and take her out for a while until she can hold it.
Tulip and Coleen like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 AM

When she does pee or poop outside, make it a party! Praise her excitingly, jump up and down if you have to, make it the best thing she ever did! Give favorite treats or play with a favorite toy! She will catch on. As she grows, her bladder will get stronger. Good luck!
Tulip likes this.

Tasha's Mom, Coleen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 PM

I second going to the vet and ruling out any medical reasons for this. Most shepherd tend to be pretty messy... when mine was a pup and had an accident in the crate, he would play in it -.-. I just stuck to our routine and cleaned his crate out often, and after a couple months he did grow out of it and learn how to hold his bladder. It might just take some time, unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page